How to Start a Problem I'm Struggling With

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding a formula for a problem and needs help. The student has looked at similar threads and found a youtube video that provides a simplified explanation of the formula. The student is able to apply the formula to (n-1 over r) + (n-1 over r-1). However, the student gets an extremely long expression. The student has a mistake that needs to be clarified. The student is able to solve for n(n-1)!. n!
lema21
Homework Statement
Prove following theorem by expressing all the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials and then simplifying algebraically: For any positive integer n and r=1, 2, …, n-1; (n over r) = (n-1 over r) + (n-1 over r-1).
Relevant Equations
None
I really don't know what to do for this problem. I looked at similar threads but couldn't seem to grasp the idea of it. I would like help on how to start.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know this formula ?$$(n \text{ over } r)=\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}$$

Likes lema21
Yes, I just looked at a youtube video and I saw that in order to prove this type of problem I would have to apply the formula that you stated to (n-1 over r) + (n-1 over r-1). And I did that and got [ (n-1)! / (r!(n-1-r)!) ] + [ (n-1)! / ((r-1)!(n-r)!) ] but ended getting an extremely long expression which is wrong (I think) because aren't I supposed to get (n over r) = (n over r) as my answer?

Yes after you work algebraically that sum of the two fractions of factorials you are supposed to get ##\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}##.
To start working towards the right direction, multiply the first fraction by ##\frac{n-r}{n-r}## and the second fraction by ##\frac{r}{r}## and tell me what you get.

Likes lema21
have in mind that ##r!=r(r-1)!## and ##(n-r)!=(n-r)(n-1-r)!##.

Likes lema21
Delta2 said:
Yes after you work algebraically that sum of the two fractions of factorials you are supposed to get ##\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}##.
To start working towards the right direction, multiply the first fraction by ##\frac{n-r}{n-r}## and the second fraction by ##\frac{r}{r}## and tell me what you get.
I got 2(n+1)! / (r-1)! (n-1-r!)

lema21 said:
I got 2(n+1)! / (r-1)! (n-1-r!)
Hmm can't tell where your mistake is unless you post the in between steps, but I think you did something terribly wrong because you should get in the common denominator of the two fractions ##r!(n-r)!## not ##(r-1)!(n-1-r)!##.

I can do the second fraction for you which is abit more easy, it is $$\frac{r}{r}\frac{(n-1)!}{(r-1)!(n-r)!}=\frac{r(n-1)!}{r(r-1)!(n-r)!}=\frac{r(n-1)!}{r!(n-r)!}$$

Oh, my previous reply was my simplified answer after adding both fractions. I don't see how you simplified the denominator from the middle to the last part.

lema21 said:
Oh, my previous reply was my simplified answer after adding both fractions. I don't see how you simplified the denominator from the middle to the last part.
Oh nevermind... I get it.

Likes Delta2
For the first fraction I got (n-r)(n-1)! / r!(n-r)!

Likes Delta2
ok so now the denominators of the two fractions are equal and what we want them to be (remember we want to prove that the sum is equal to ##\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}##), we have to work the numerator of the sum of the two fractions. What do you get there?

I got (n-r)(n-1)! + r(n-1)!

Likes Delta2
You are doing fine, how can you expand the first term using the distributive property?

if you are getting confused by the factorial (n-1)! put z=(n-1)! and right the numerator as (n-r)z+rz :D.

Okay so I factored out the (n-1)! and got (n-1)! [(n-r)+r] = n(n-1)!

Likes Delta2
Great! so what is n(n-1)! equal to?

n!

Likes Delta2
Thank you so much for your help :) I really do appreciate it.

• Love
Likes Delta2
No problem I am glad that I helped a smart and polite student :)

1. How do I identify the problem I'm struggling with?

The first step in starting a problem you're struggling with is to clearly identify what the problem is. This can be done by asking yourself questions such as: What is causing me stress or difficulty? What do I want to change? What is the root cause of the problem? Once you have a clear understanding of the problem, you can move on to finding a solution.

2. What are some effective problem-solving strategies?

There are many different problem-solving strategies that you can use, depending on the nature of the problem. Some common strategies include brainstorming, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking advice or guidance from others, and using trial and error. It's important to find a strategy that works best for you and the specific problem you're facing.

3. How can I stay motivated while working on a difficult problem?

It's natural to feel frustrated or discouraged while working on a difficult problem. To stay motivated, try setting small achievable goals and celebrating your progress along the way. You can also take breaks when needed, seek support from friends or colleagues, and remind yourself of the potential positive outcomes of solving the problem.

4. How do I know when to ask for help with a problem?

Knowing when to ask for help is an important skill in problem-solving. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, stuck, or unable to make progress on your own, it may be time to seek help. This could be from a friend, colleague, mentor, or professional. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance when you need it.

5. How can I prevent similar problems from arising in the future?

Once you have successfully solved a problem, it's important to reflect on what caused the problem in the first place and how you can prevent it from happening again. This could involve making changes to your habits or routines, seeking additional training or education, or implementing a new system or process. Learning from past problems can help you avoid similar struggles in the future.