HP50g or TI-89 Titanium: Which Calculator is Best for Calculus II?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Robert Pinney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89 Titanium
In summary, the conversation discusses the best calculator choice for a student currently taking Calculus II. The options include the HP50G, Casio 9860GII, and TI89. It is advised to choose the HP50G if going into engineering, while any regular calculator would suffice for those simply taking math courses. The HP50G is recommended for its RPN syntax and its power. The conversation also suggests checking out previous discussions on the topic for more insight and advice.
Robert Pinney
I am currently in Calculus II and would like to know which calculator to get. I have read good arguments for both and am leaning towards the HP.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you are going to go further into engineering then go with HP its the safe pick. If you're just simply taking math courses for the hell of it then any regular calculator would do.

My personal choice would be.

1. HP50G

2. Casio 9860GII

3. TI89.

Duckrice44 said:
If you are going to go further into engineering then go with HP its the safe pick. If you're just simply taking math courses for the hell of it then any regular calculator would do.

My personal choice would be.

1. HP50G

2. Casio 9860GII

3. TI89.

I would like to add that if you choose the HP 50G, take the time to learn RPN syntax -- that's where you will REALLY see the power of the HP 50G.

I'm a freshman in high-school, so I'll be taking a lot more math classes.

There are some threads about the HP 50g versus the TI-89 in the "Computing & Technology" forum, to which this thread has been moved. You might want to check out the older threads here.

Here's a long-running thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=133304

I've seen those and would like new ideas from other people.

1. What is the difference between the HP50g and the TI-89 Titanium?

The HP50g and the TI-89 Titanium are both graphing calculators commonly used by students and professionals in the fields of math and science. The main difference between the two is the operating system they use. The HP50g uses an RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) system, while the TI-89 Titanium uses a more traditional algebraic input system. Additionally, the TI-89 Titanium has a larger screen and more memory than the HP50g.

2. Which calculator is better for engineering or scientific calculations?

Both the HP50g and the TI-89 Titanium are powerful calculators that can handle complex engineering and scientific calculations. However, the choice ultimately depends on personal preference and familiarity with the operating systems. Some users prefer the RPN system of the HP50g for its efficiency, while others prefer the more traditional algebraic system of the TI-89 Titanium.

3. Can I use both calculators for standardized tests like the SAT or ACT?

Yes, both the HP50g and the TI-89 Titanium are allowed on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT. However, some test administrators may require you to reset the calculator to its default settings before the test. It is always best to check with the test administrator beforehand to avoid any issues.

4. Are there any notable differences in the programming capabilities of these calculators?

Both the HP50g and the TI-89 Titanium have powerful programming capabilities, allowing users to write and run their own programs. However, the HP50g has a larger library of built-in functions and commands, making it a better choice for more advanced programming tasks. The TI-89 Titanium, on the other hand, has a more user-friendly interface for programming, making it easier for beginners to learn.

5. Which calculator is more durable and long-lasting?

Both the HP50g and the TI-89 Titanium are well-built and should last for many years with proper care. However, the HP50g has a reputation for being more durable and long-lasting due to its metal casing and sturdy buttons. The TI-89 Titanium, while still a reliable calculator, has a plastic casing that may be more prone to wear and tear over time.