I am a high school student that will be doing research for a class next year

In summary, you want to find a subject that is cheap and easy to test, and that interests you. Try contacting professors at your local universities to see if they are interested in working with a high school student.
polaris12
I love physics, especially particle and astronomical physics, and for my intel research class which I will be taking next year, I would like to study them more. For this class, I need to choose a topic of study to which the answer is unknown or poorly understood and "play scientist" for a year. Unfortunately, considering that this is high school, experimentation will not be easy in these fields, so I am having a problem choosing a subject that will be cheap and easy to test, so I need advice. What should my field of research be? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any nearby universities? Some university's will have research opportunities for high schools students that excel in a particular field.

There are, however the nearest universities are all sub-par and I had spoken to some representatives. They do not offer courses to high school students in any science at all.

polaris12 said:
They do not offer courses to high school students in any science at all.
So look at the various professors at the school, see if any of them are doing research that interests you, and call up and ask if they're willing to take you on. My school doesn't have formal programs, but we usually have high school kids floating around, especially in the summer, doing research for the intel STS.

Most universities don't offer courses for high school students, and that's not what you're looking for. You're looking for a research mentor, someone who can help you pick a topic that can be done with your resources (or theirs) in the given amount of time and your knowledge of the field. Even lower-ranked schools often have good researchers at them; in the current job market, researchers take what they can get. Certainly don't dismiss any chance to work with a professor (or even a grad student) given any opportunity, no matter where it is.

polaris12 said:
There are, however the nearest universities are all sub-par and I had spoken to some representatives.

Remember that you're only in high school. The staff in your so-called 'sub-par' universities still have centuries more knowledge and experience than you do.

Like others have said, what you're looking for is someone that can help you with ideas and a bit of guidance. If you can contact someone in a local department, you should tell them what you've told us - and ask if there is anyone you might be able to contact who would be willing to meet you to discuss a project. You don't even need a doctor to work with, honours students or post-grads that are interested in teaching might be willing.

Related to I am a high school student that will be doing research for a class next year

What type of research will I be doing?

The type of research you will be doing will depend on the class you are taking and the specific topic you choose. It may involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, or reviewing existing studies and literature.

How do I choose a research topic?

Choosing a research topic can be a challenging and important decision. Consider your interests, the requirements of the class, and the availability of resources and data. You may also want to discuss potential topics with your classmates or teacher for guidance.

What are the steps of the research process?

The research process typically involves several steps, including selecting a topic, conducting a literature review, formulating a research question or hypothesis, designing a study or experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting your findings. Your teacher will likely provide more specific guidelines and instructions for your class.

What resources can I use for my research?

There are many resources you can use for your research, including books, academic journals, online databases, and interviews with experts. Your school or local library may also have resources available. Be sure to evaluate the credibility and reliability of your sources before using them in your research.

How do I properly cite my sources?

Properly citing your sources is an important part of the research process. Your teacher will likely provide a specific citation style to follow, such as MLA or APA. Be sure to carefully record and document all sources you use, including in-text citations and a works cited or references page.