I don't know what to do with Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12

In summary: Yes. You can do everything you can by writing (i.e. graphing, etc.) and everything on Mathematica right?
lLovePhysics
My dad just bought me Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12 and I have no idea how I should use it, if ever. I'm currently in AP Calculus in high school so I don't know what features I should use that would enhance my learning and understand of math from algebra all the way up to Calculus. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google is your friend in this case.

Mathematica comes with great documentation... don't really know abt Mathcad. In Mathematica, just go to 'Help > documentation'.

Your dad bought you over two thousand dollars of professional software for your high school calculus class? :uhh:

It's essentially useless for you at this level. I'd take it all back and put the money into a CD to help fund your college education.

- Warren

I was thinking the same thing Chroot. That's a lot of higher end software for learning how to do derivatives.

chroot said:
Your dad bought you over two thousand dollars of professional software for your high school calculus class? :uhh:

It's essentially useless for you at this level. I'd take it all back and put the money into a CD to help fund your college education.

- Warren

Wait this software is worth over two thousand dollars? Do you think I can use it to do my homework more efficiently? Do college students use it to do their homework assignments?

lLovePhysics said:
Wait this software is worth over two thousand dollars? Do you think I can use it to do my homework more efficiently? Do college students use it to do their homework assignments?
If your Dad bought the full blown version and not the student version. Yes. It is very expensive.

College students use it. Professionals use it. It is a very powerful piece of software. I use it quite often. You can use it, but you have to put in some extra time to learn how to use it.

There is a 5 minute tour that you can take. It has a link in the start up pane when you start the program. Did you look at that?

FredGarvin said:
If your Dad bought the full blown version and not the student version. Yes. It is very expensive.

College students use it. Professionals use it. It is a very powerful piece of software. I use it quite often. You can use it, but you have to put in some extra time to learn how to use it.

There is a 5 minute tour that you can take. It has a link in the start up pane when you start the program. Did you look at that?

My dad bought the student version. So do you guys think it would be faster (than writing) to do my assignments this way? Would my teacher allow me to turn in my homework using this piece of software as long as I show my work?

You can basically do everything you can by writing (i.e. graphing, etc.) and everything on Mathematica right?

1. What is Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12?

Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12 are computer software programs used for mathematical and scientific calculations and data analysis. They are commonly used by scientists, researchers, and engineers to solve complex mathematical problems and visualize data.

2. How do I get started with Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12?

To get started with Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12, you will first need to install the software on your computer. You can purchase the software online or through a software retailer. Once installed, you can begin exploring the program's features and capabilities.

3. What are some key features of Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12?

Some key features of Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12 include their ability to solve complex mathematical equations and perform data analysis, their user-friendly interface, and their compatibility with various operating systems. They also have a variety of built-in functions and tools for graphing, visualization, and programming.

4. Can I use Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12 for my specific field of study?

Yes, Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12 can be used for a wide range of scientific and mathematical disciplines, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. They can also be customized and expanded with additional packages to suit specific needs and applications.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn how to use Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn how to use Mathematica 5.1 and Mathcad 12. These include online tutorials, user guides, forums, and video tutorials. You can also find books and courses specifically designed to teach how to use these programs effectively.