I may not get my bachelor degree for political reasons help

In summary: For example, what is the specific reason that the administration is considering shaving off credits? Are the classes that you took at another school relevant to your degree? If so, what are the specific subjects?
xdrgnh
I applied to PhD programs, have good grades and got good five really strong recommendation letters. However I may not get my Bachelor degree by may. On paper I completed all of the course requirement for my degree and so far took 132 credits. However the administration is thinking of shaving 32 credits off of my transcript because I took those classes at another school. These classes include a graduate classical mechanics class and a PDE class. If they do this I will not graduate on time and I don't have money to spend an extra semester in undergraduate institution. I took Junior level E@M,Statistical Physics,Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics plus math all the way up to PDE and Complex Analysis. Even if I don't get my degree because of these bureaucratic reasons do you think I can still attend graduate school if I get in for Fall of 2015?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to petition the dean of your college for extenuating circumstance and see if he/she can help you.

Likes TomServo
If you don't get a bachelor's, grad schools are likely not to accept you.

I think it would also help you if you toned the drama down. There is a difference between a university having a policy for acceptance (or not) of transfer credit and "political reasons".

Likes TomServo
It's political because I took those classes in the same university just at a different school. I was initially given the okay to take them. But now I'm getting a run around from all the administration. Whoever ever heard of a undergraduate physics department that doesn't accept a graduate Classical Mechanics class as an elective.

OK, then keep the drama level up. But don't complain to me if that doesn't get you where you want to be.

When graduate schools admit you, they generally give you conditional or provisional acceptance. The idea is that you have until a certain date to provide them with evidence that you have been awarded an undergraduate degree.

In your case you might be able to petition the graduate school to extend the date of your conditional acceptance, but the school will eventually expect that the undergraduate degree will be awarded.

While I don't know the details involved, it's best not to jump to conclusions either. Sometimes there are "fine print" details that need to be understood in these situations. A school may very well refuse to award you elective credits for courses taken outside of their program for a number of reasons. Maybe they need to verify that those courses were taught to their same standard as the courses taught in the rest of your program. Maybe "elective" is defined by excluding courses in your major subject area so as to give you a broader education. Maybe it's just a bureaucratic hiccup that will be addressed in time.

Do you have anything that says these courses are allowable from before you took the courses? That would go a long way to help your case.

Likes TomServo
Are those classes and your scores on them still on your transcript?

Because if you've met your graduation requirements but would only not graduate on a technicality and have demonstrated that you can handle graduate-level coursework, I'm sure there is something you can work out between the dean of your own college and the admissions of whichever graduate school you wish to attend, especially if you were led to believe that coursework would allow you to graduate.

Why do you say "political reasons"?

I get the feeling there are missing parts to this story.

1. What are some common political reasons that could prevent someone from getting their bachelor's degree?

Some common political reasons that could prevent someone from getting their bachelor's degree include restrictions on education for certain groups of people, discrimination based on political beliefs, and political unrest or conflict in the country where the person is studying.

2. How can political reasons affect a person's ability to obtain their bachelor's degree?

Political reasons can affect a person's ability to obtain their bachelor's degree by limiting their access to education, creating barriers or obstacles to completing their studies, or even causing their university to shut down or be disrupted due to political turmoil.

3. Are there any resources or organizations that can help individuals facing political obstacles to obtaining their bachelor's degree?

Yes, there are organizations such as Scholars at Risk and the International Rescue Committee that offer support and resources for students facing political challenges in pursuing their education. Additionally, universities often have student support services and advocacy groups that can provide assistance.

4. Can seeking help for political reasons affecting one's bachelor's degree have any negative consequences?

In some cases, seeking help for political reasons affecting one's bachelor's degree may have negative consequences, such as facing further discrimination or retaliation. It is important for individuals to carefully evaluate their options and seek support from reputable and trustworthy organizations.

5. What steps can be taken to address political obstacles and still obtain a bachelor's degree?

Some steps that can be taken to address political obstacles and still obtain a bachelor's degree include seeking support from organizations and advocacy groups, exploring alternative education options such as online or distance learning, and considering transferring to a university in a more stable political environment. It is also important to stay informed and aware of any changes or developments in the political situation that may impact one's education.