I want to use high voltage (about 3kV)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of creating an electron gun and the concerns surrounding the use of high voltage (3kV or more). The person seeking advice is advised to stay away from high voltage until they have a better understanding of electronics for their own safety. Suggestions for suitable wires, such as test lead wire and spark plug wire, are given along with warnings about the fragility of the latter. The person is also warned about the dangers of working with high voltage and the need to consider joints, connections, PCBs, and component bodies. Finally, the conversation ends with a warning about the risk of x-rays and a suggestion to look into suppliers of silicone high voltage cables.
emtae55
TL;DR Summary
To use the high voltage(about 3kV or more), what kind of electric wire should i use?
Hi, I want to make a electron gun, and I have to use high voltage(about 3kV or more). But I think I can't use general electric wire. So I want to know what kind of electric wire should i use to use the high voltage??

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you need to ask this question, then you should stay away from 3kV until you have learned more about electronics. I am not being snide, I am concerned for your safety. To work with dangerous voltages you at least need to know how to research components online to determine their suitability for your application. There's a bunch of other stuff you need to know as well. Why don't you try a low voltage project?

Likes sophiecentaur
What is known as "Test Lead Wire" is available with 1500V and 5000V ratings. If you need only short lengths, buying some Test Leads rated at 5000V is a source. If you need longer lengths, the mail order suppliers have it for $150 for a 100ft. spool. Here is one I found.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=1636%20RD005&v=216

Another possibility is Spark Plug Wire used on car engines. Most of it is 'Resistance Wire', instead of wire it uses a carbonized thread. It can not carry much current and is somewhat fragile. The original Non-Resistance plug wire is probably still available, it's just that I haven't seen it the retail Auto Supply stores lately. If you are near a large body of water it may be available in Marine supply stores.

Good Luck! ...and what is your project?

Cheers,
Tom

Just taking care of the rating of the wire won't be enough. For high voltage you need to watch out for the joints, connections, the PCB and component bodies too.
With high voltage even a fingerprint can ruin your day.

Likes DaveE
DaveE said:
If you need to ask this question, then you should stay away from 3kV until you have learned more about electronics. I am not being snide, I am concerned for your safety. To work with dangerous voltages you at least need to know how to research components online to determine their suitability for your application. There's a bunch of other stuff you need to know as well. Why don't you try a low voltage project?
Because i should make an electron gun, so i should use high voltage:(
thanks for your concerning.

Tom.G said:
What is known as "Test Lead Wire" is available with 1500V and 5000V ratings. If you need only short lengths, buying some Test Leads rated at 5000V is a source. If you need longer lengths, the mail order suppliers have it for $150 for a 100ft. spool. Here is one I found.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=1636%20RD005&v=216

Another possibility is Spark Plug Wire used on car engines. Most of it is 'Resistance Wire', instead of wire it uses a carbonized thread. It can not carry much current and is somewhat fragile. The original Non-Resistance plug wire is probably still available, it's just that I haven't seen it the retail Auto Supply stores lately. If you are near a large body of water it may be available in Marine supply stores.

Good Luck! ...and what is your project?

Cheers,
Tom
my project is making electron gun
Thank you for your help:)

Search “silicone high voltage cable 10kV” or similar. There are suppliers of this sort of thing for neon signs.

There’s also a risk of x-rays when you’re firing electrons about. Have you looked into that?

Thread locked

@emtae55, click on my name, start a conversation, and send me a message explaining more about your assignment, and your qualifications.

Last edited:

1. What is high voltage and why would someone want to use it?

High voltage is defined as any voltage above 1000 volts. It is often used in scientific experiments and industrial processes that require a large amount of energy, such as in electrical power transmission. It can also be used for specialized applications, such as in medical equipment or particle accelerators.

2. Is it dangerous to work with high voltage?

Yes, high voltage can be extremely dangerous and should only be handled by trained professionals. It can cause severe electric shocks and even death if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to always follow safety protocols and wear protective gear when working with high voltage.

3. What are some common uses for high voltage?

High voltage is commonly used in electrical power transmission, industrial processes, and scientific experiments. It can also be used in medical equipment, such as X-ray machines, and in specialized applications like particle accelerators and lasers.

4. How is high voltage generated?

High voltage can be generated through a variety of methods, including transformers, generators, and batteries. In scientific experiments, high voltage can also be created through specialized equipment, such as Van de Graaff generators or Tesla coils.

5. Are there any risks associated with using high voltage?

Yes, there are several risks associated with using high voltage, including electric shock, fire, and equipment damage. It is important to always follow safety protocols and use proper equipment when working with high voltage to minimize these risks.