Triple Integral of a cone bounded by a plane.

In summary, the problem is to find the volume using spherical coordinates of a region bounded above by z=9 and below by z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) in the first octant. The attempt at a solution involved finding the volume of a cone with a height of 9 and radius of 9 at z=9, divided by 4 since we only want the first octant. However, the correct approach is to use the equation ∫∫∫ ρ^2sinφ dρdφdθ with the limits 0≤ρ≤9/cos(π/4), 0≤φ≤π/4, and 0≤θ≤π/
ktvphysics

Homework Statement

find the volume using spherical coordinates of the region bounded above by z=9 and below by z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) in the first octant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this volume using cartesian and cylindrical coordinates, so I know the answer I am looking for, but I can't for the life of me get it in spherical coordinates.

The region that I am solving for is simply a cone with a height of 9, correct? At z =9 the height is 9. at z = 9 the radius is also 9. So by the equation for volume of a cone, it would be pi r^2 h/3, which = 9^3/3*pi, then divided by 4 since we just want the first octant, which is a quarter of the cone, right? I am sure I am over complicating this somehow.

I found rho to be 9/cos(phi) which is 9/cos(pi/4) and (phi = pi/4) and theta is pi/2. So the integral is
∫∫∫ ρ2sinφ dρdφdθ. 0≤ρ≤9/cos(π/4), 0≤φ≤π/4, 0≤θ≤π/2

Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ktvphysics said:

Homework Statement

find the volume using spherical coordinates of the region bounded above by z=9 and below by z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) in the first octant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this volume using cartesian and cylindrical coordinates, so I know the answer I am looking for, but I can't for the life of me get it in spherical coordinates.

The region that I am solving for is simply a cone with a height of 9, correct? At z =9 the height is 9. at z = 9 the radius is also 9. So by the equation for volume of a cone, it would be pi r^2 h/3, which = 9^3/3*pi, then divided by 4 since we just want the first octant, which is a quarter of the cone, right? I am sure I am over complicating this somehow.

I found rho to be 9/cos(phi) which is 9/cos(pi/4) and (phi = pi/4) and theta is pi/2. So the integral is
∫∫∫ ρ2sinφ dρdφdθ. 0≤ρ≤9/cos(π/4), 0≤φ≤π/4, 0≤θ≤π/2

Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you are doing something wrong. Shouldn't the upper limit of ##\rho## depend on ##\phi##?

Yes. I figured it out. thank you, though

1. What is a triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. In this case, it is used to find the volume of a cone that is limited by a plane, meaning it has a flat base instead of a pointed one.

2. How do you set up a triple integral for a cone bounded by a plane?

To set up a triple integral for a cone bounded by a plane, you will need to use the equations for the cone and the plane to determine the limits of integration. The triple integral will have three variables - one for each dimension (x, y, and z) - and the limits will correspond to the boundaries of the cone and plane.

3. What is the formula for calculating a triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane?

The formula for calculating a triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane is ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function representing the cone and plane, and dV is the infinitesimal volume element. The limits of integration will depend on the specific cone and plane being considered.

4. Can the triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane be solved using any method?

No, the triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane cannot be solved using any method. The method used will depend on the shape and complexity of the cone and plane. Some common methods include using cylindrical or spherical coordinates, or breaking the integral into smaller parts using symmetry or other techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of the triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane?

The triple integral of a cone bounded by a plane has many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of objects such as water tanks, silos, or storage containers that have a conical shape. It is also used in engineering and physics to find the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of three-dimensional objects with conical components.