Inertial Reference Frames and Newtons laws

In summary, inertial reference frames are defined as frames in which Newton's laws are valid. Accelerating reference frames are not inertial reference frames and therefore Newton's laws are not valid in these frames. A car driving at a constant speed on a straight and level road and a hot air balloon rising straight up at a steady speed are examples of inertial reference frames. However, a car driving at a steady speed around a curve and a skydiver just after leaping out of a plane are not inertial reference frames because they are accelerating. The space shuttle orbiting the earth is also not an inertial reference frame for the same reason.
Blangett

Homework Statement

I am a bit confused about what are inertial reference frames and what is not. The text states:

"We define an inertial reference frame as a reference frame in which Newton's laws are valid... Accelerating reference frames are not inertial reference frames. Consequently, Newton's laws are not valid in a reference frame attached to an accelerating object. ... In Chapter 4 we defined inertial reference frames to be those reference frames moving with constant velocity."

Would someone mind explaining the reasoning to these answers a bit better, and make sure my reasoning is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

Are the following inertial reference frames? Yes or No.

A car driving at a stead speed on a straight and level road. ~ Yes I understand this one because the car is moving at a constant velocity so it is an inertial
reference frame.

A car driving at a steady speed up a 10 degree incline. ~ Yes
The car is moving at a constant velocity so it is an inertial reference frame.

A car speeding up after leaving a stop sign. ~ No
The car is accelerating so it is not an inertial reference frame.

A car driving at steady speed around a curve. ?
I found the answer to be no, but I do not understand why. If it is moving at a
constant speed shouldn't it be an inertial reference frame.

A hot air balloon rising straight up at steady speed. ~ Yes
Constant velocity so inertial reference frame.

A skydiver just after leaping out of a plane. ~ No
Not positive, but I think on this one its just because they are accelerating in free fall.

The space shuttle orbiting the earth. ~ ?
I know the answer is no, but I am not sure exactly why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blangett said:

Homework Statement

A car driving at steady speed around a curve. ?
I found the answer to be no, but I do not understand why. If it is moving at a
constant speed shouldn't it be an inertial reference frame.

NO. It's the velocity that has to be constant, not just the speed. If it's moving around a curve, it's accelerating. Accelerating reference frames are not inertial. Are Newton's laws obeyed in accelerating reference frames? No. When you're going around a turn, there seems to be a mysterious force that throws you towards the outside of the turn. Where the hell did it come from?

Blangett said:
Not positive, but I think on this one its just because they are accelerating in free fall.

Yes. Accelerating reference frames are not inertial.

Blangett said:
The space shuttle orbiting the earth. ~ ?
I know the answer is no, but I am not sure exactly why.

For the same reason as the car going around the curve

cepheid said:
NO. It's the velocity that has to be constant, not just the speed. If it's moving around a curve, it's accelerating. Accelerating reference frames are not inertial. Are Newton's laws obeyed in accelerating reference frames? No. When you're going around a turn, there seems to be a mysterious force that throws you towards the outside of the turn. Where the hell did it come from?

Yes. Accelerating reference frames are not inertial.

For the same reason as the car going around the curve

Thank you so much!

Blangett said:

This is a bit of an unfortunate question: if you know too much (namely general relativity), then you'll answer that a body in free fall is THE example of an inertial frame.

But in Newtonian physics you'd indeed say you're accelerating so it's certainly not an inertial frame!

Related to Inertial Reference Frames and Newtons laws

What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that objects at rest will remain at rest and objects in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do inertial reference frames relate to Newton's laws?

Inertial reference frames are necessary for Newton's laws to hold true. If an object is in a non-inertial reference frame, such as a rotating or accelerating frame, then the laws of motion will not be accurate. In order to accurately apply Newton's laws, we must use an inertial reference frame.

What is the difference between an inertial and non-inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. Objects in an inertial reference frame will behave according to these laws. On the other hand, a non-inertial reference frame is a coordinate system that is accelerating or rotating, causing objects within it to experience fictitious forces. In a non-inertial reference frame, Newton's laws do not hold true.

Why is it important to use inertial reference frames in scientific experiments?

Using an inertial reference frame is important in scientific experiments because it allows us to accurately apply Newton's laws of motion. This ensures that our measurements and observations are consistent and reliable. If we were to use a non-inertial reference frame, the results of our experiments may be distorted by the presence of fictitious forces.