Installed directx 11 by mistake.

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of trying to install DirectX 9.0c after accidentally installing DirectX 11. The speaker has tried multiple times to install 9.0c but it keeps reverting back to 11. They ask for advice on how to successfully install 9.0c and mention previous success with downgrading from DirectX 10. There is also a suggestion to try using a restore point. The conversation also mentions the possibility of Windows Update automatically installing DirectX 11 and the compatibility of DirectX 11 with the speaker's graphics and sound cards.
ThomasEdison
I clicked download and run for directx11 without really thinking about it and now, daily, I've been trying different websites to get 9.0c installed back again and nothing seems to work.

Ive done this about 10 times now...I find a website/mirror etc with 9.0c on it and download the damn thing. and then install it. I agree to the Eula ect and click install.

Everytime I dxdiag my computer after rebooting it, it says that it is still running directx11!

This is very frustrating.

Is there a sure fire way to once again have 9.0c? (the only multimedia graphics and sound driver I have had any luck with?)

My graphics card is a gt 250 Nvidia and I have some cheap creative labs sound card.

Direct11 makes all videos I play choppy and the graphics get pixelated and hiccup so I hate it.

Oh btw I did this scenario with directx 10 and was able to get 9.0c back again from 10.. I've gone back and forth between 10 and 9 many times without any problem... Directx11 seems to not ever let you change back again or I am doing something wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there ANY chance a Restore Point exists before you did this and it might possibly put it back for you? Or you happen to have an existing Restore Point you could use?

Google for
+directx +"Restore Point"
finds hits that say "make sure you create a Restore Point before upgrading directx", some even from what appear to be Microsoft support. I hope it works out for you.

Is windows update installing Dx11 automatically?

I didn't even know you could install DX11 by itself, I thought it just came with W7.

DX11 should work perfectly fine with your GT250 and sound card. I run an old Audigy sound blaster in my comp and it loves DX11. Make sure you mobo chipset is up to date.

As for uninstalling it, I believe you just go to windows components list in the control panel and just tell it to uninstall.

I understand your frustration with trying to revert back to DirectX 9.0c after accidentally installing DirectX 11. It is important to carefully read and understand the implications of any installation before proceeding, as you have experienced the consequences of not doing so.

In this situation, I would recommend completely uninstalling DirectX 11 and then installing DirectX 9.0c. This can be done through the Control Panel or by using a third-party uninstaller program. Once DirectX 11 is completely removed, you should be able to install DirectX 9.0c without any issues.

If this method still does not work, it is possible that there may be other underlying issues with your system that are preventing the installation of DirectX 9.0c. In this case, I would suggest seeking the assistance of a computer technician who can troubleshoot and resolve any potential compatibility issues.

It is also worth mentioning that DirectX 11 offers significant improvements and updates over DirectX 9.0c, so it may be worth considering keeping it installed and troubleshooting any issues with it rather than reverting back to an older version. However, I understand that certain programs or games may require DirectX 9.0c, so it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.

In the future, I would recommend being more cautious when installing any software or updates to ensure that you are making informed decisions and avoiding any potential issues.

1. What is DirectX 11 and what does it do?

DirectX 11 is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Microsoft that allows software to communicate with hardware, particularly for gaming and multimedia purposes. It helps to improve graphics and audio performance on Windows-based computers.

2. What happens if I install DirectX 11 by mistake?

If you install DirectX 11 by mistake, it will not cause any harm to your computer. However, it may cause compatibility issues with older software or games that require an earlier version of DirectX. You can uninstall DirectX 11 and revert to a previous version if needed.

3. How do I know if I have DirectX 11 installed?

You can check if you have DirectX 11 installed by going to the "Run" command and typing in "dxdiag". This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, and under the "System" tab, you will see the version of DirectX installed on your computer.

4. Can I install DirectX 11 on my Mac or Linux computer?

No, DirectX 11 is a Windows-exclusive technology and cannot be installed on Mac or Linux computers. Macs use a different set of APIs called Metal, and Linux uses OpenGL for graphics and multimedia purposes.

5. Is it necessary to have DirectX 11 installed on my computer?

No, it is not essential to have DirectX 11 installed on your computer unless you are using software or games that require it. If you are not a gamer or do not use multimedia-intensive applications, you may not need to have DirectX 11 installed.