Instantaneous rates of change. Exponential growth and Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation N=Noekt to solve problems related to radioactive substances. Two problems are mentioned, with one involving finding the instantaneous rate of change at specific times, and the other involving finding the constant k. The conversation also mentions some discrepancies in the calculations and suggests rechecking the work.
josh_123
The equation I used for these are:
If N=Noekt then DN/Dt=N0kekt

so the two problems I have trouble with is
A radioactive substance has a decay constant (k) of -.0539 per year. If 371 grams of the material is initially present, what is the instaneous rate of change of the substance at times t=4 weeks and 18 months?

so what I did is 371(-.0539)e(-.0539)(4/48)=-19.907 gram/week
and 371(-.0539)e(-.0539)(1.5)=-28.421 gram/month

Is this right?

2. A radioactive substance has a half life of 23.7 days. If 4983 grams of the material is initially present, what is the instantaeous rate of change of the substance at times t=1 day

I find the k constant by -2491.5/23.7 which is -105.127 gram/day which mean -.288 gram/year? (by dividing 365). Is this right?

then for 1 day 4983(-.288)e^(-.288)(1/365)=-2.948 gram/day?
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first equation, where did you get the 48 from? Maybe it should be 52. Then at t=4weeks, you would have t=4/52 years. I think your answer is in terms of years, not weeks.

Same for the second equation. You converted 18 months into 1.5 years. The solution you have is in terms of grams per year, not per month. You may want to check your work, I got a different result for this part.

For the second problem, why are you converting to years? Everything is given in days. You are doing more work than needed, unless the question is asking for an answer in terms of gram/year.

And you need to reconsider how you are calculating the k value. The half life is 23.7 days, so half of the material is present after t=23.7 days. Try setting the exponent equal to 23.7 k. e^(23.7k) = 1/2. Then solve for the k value. That would be a good first step.

1. What is an instantaneous rate of change?

An instantaneous rate of change refers to the rate at which a quantity is changing at a specific point in time. It is also known as the derivative, and it measures the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is an instantaneous rate of change different from an average rate of change?

An average rate of change measures the overall rate of change between two points, while an instantaneous rate of change measures the rate of change at a specific point. It takes into account the small changes that occur over an infinitesimal interval.

3. How is exponential growth defined?

Exponential growth refers to the growth of a quantity or value at a constant rate over time. This means that the amount of growth increases by a fixed percentage over a certain period, rather than a fixed amount.

4. What is the formula for exponential growth?

The formula for exponential growth is y = a * (1 + r)^x, where y represents the final amount, a is the initial amount, r is the growth rate, and x is the time period.

5. What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is the opposite of exponential growth, where a quantity decreases at a constant rate over time. It follows the formula y = a * (1 - r)^x, where y is the final amount, a is the initial amount, r is the decay rate, and x is the time period.