Integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral of an even wavefunction from -ε to ε, which is found to be 0. However, this is not always true as the integral can approach a constant value for very small, but positive ε. Infinitesimal does not necessarily mean zero in this case.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

I'm reading something in my quantum physics book that says given a wavefunction ψ that is even, if we evaluate its integral from -ε to ε, the integral is 0. How can this be? I thought this is the property of odd functions.

Homework Equations

ψ=Aekx if x<0 and ψ=Be-kx if x>0, ε is infinitesimal change in x

The Attempt at a Solution

By boundary conditions, say at the origin, this will give A=B then the book says we can represent the wave function as ψ=Ae-k|x|. The wave function is even so the integral is 0 between -ε to ε.

Physics news on Phys.org
shinobi20 said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading something in my quantum physics book that says given a wavefunction ψ that is even, if we evaluate its integral from -ε to ε, the integral is 0. How can this be? I thought this is the property of odd functions.

Homework Equations

ψ=Aekx if x<0 and ψ=Be-kx if x>0, ε is infinitesimal change in x

The Attempt at a Solution

By boundary conditions, say at the origin, this will give A=B then the book says we can represent the wave function as ψ=Ae-k|x|. The wave function is even so the integral is 0 between -ε to ε.

That is false. For very small, but positive ##\epsilon## the function ##\psi(x)## is very nearly constant (##=A##) over the interval ##-\epsilon \leq x \leq \epsilon##, so ##\int_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon} \psi(x) \, dx \approx 2 A \epsilon##. Of course, if ##\epsilon## is infinitesimal, so is the integral, but infinitesimal does not mean zero.

1. What is an integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds?

An integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds refers to a type of integral where the upper and lower bounds of integration are infinitesimal, meaning they are infinitely small. This type of integral is used in calculus to represent the area under a curve or the total change in a function over an infinitely small interval.

2. How is an integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds different from a regular integral?

An integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds differs from a regular integral in that the bounds of integration are infinitesimal, meaning they are infinitely small. This allows for more precise calculations and can be useful in certain scenarios, such as finding the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

3. What is the purpose of using symmetric infinitesimal bounds in an integral?

The purpose of using symmetric infinitesimal bounds in an integral is to allow for more precise calculations and to represent the behavior of a function over a very small interval. This can be useful in applications such as physics, where the behavior of a system may need to be analyzed over infinitesimally small time intervals.

4. Can an integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds be solved using traditional integration techniques?

Yes, an integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds can be solved using traditional integration techniques, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration by parts. However, these techniques may need to be modified to account for the infinitesimal bounds of integration.

5. In what fields of science is an integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds commonly used?

An integral with symmetric infinitesimal bounds is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena in these fields.