Integrating a delta function with a spherical volume integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a delta function over all of space using spherical coordinates. While the delta function is not a function, it can be represented as a sequence of functions that converge to the delta function. However, the properties of the three-dimensional delta function are different from the one-dimensional delta function, and thus the integral does not go to zero as expected. The mistake lies in assuming that the volume element plays a role in the behavior of the delta function, when in fact it is the function being integrated that affects the outcome of the integral.
counterpoint1

Homework Statement

Integrate $$\int_V \delta^3(\vec r)~ d\tau$$ over all of space by using V as a sphere of radius r centered at the origin, by having r go to infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This integral actually came up in a homework problem for my E&M class and I'm confused about how to handle it. I understand that the delta function will make the volume integral come out to one, but when I express that integral as a triple integral over spherical coordinates, $$\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\pi\int_0^\infty \delta^3(\vec r)~ r^2 sin(\theta)~ dr~ d\theta~ d\phi$$ The integrating factor apparently makes the integral go to zero, since ##\delta^3(\vec r)~r^2=0##.

In my textbook, the author uses the delta function to say that ##\delta^3(\vec r)~r=0## and I can understand that since ##\delta^3(\vec r)~r = \delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)~\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} = 0##. But then, given that, I'm at a loss as to what went wrong when I set up the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
The delta function is not a function. It's a distribution. If you want to do this rigorously then the actual definition of
##\delta^3(\vec r)## is the limit of real live functions that are not 0 when r is not zero. To say it's infinity at r=0 and zero otherwise is a gross simplification. I assume that's what you are basing your argument on.

Dick said:
The delta function is not a function. It's a distribution. If you want to do this rigorously then the actual definition of
##\delta^3(\vec r)## is the limit of real live functions that are not 0 when r is not zero. To say it's infinity at r=0 and zero otherwise is a gross simplification. I assume that's what you are basing your argument on.

So ... the volume integral doesn't go to zero because the limiting process is different in spherical coordinates as opposed to Cartesian, and it matters whether I'm using a volume integral like ##\iiint dx~dy~dz## as opposed to ##\iiint dr~d\theta~d\phi## ?

EDIT: That is, I understand that the delta "function" only has meaning inside an integral, and I'm vaguely aware that a distribution is defined as a limit of functions in an integral, so the reason why the volume integral I used doesn't just go to zero is because of the specifics of integrating in spherical coordinates? I'm not too familiar with that math, honestly.

Last edited:
No, the limiting process is the same in cartesian and spherical. You can define a representation of the delta function as, for example, a sequence of functions that have value 0 outside of r=1/n, but inside have value n^3*3/(4*pi). The total integral of each representative is 1 and they vanish outside of radius 1/n.. And yes, if you integrate that against a function and take the limit as n->infinity, that's the delta function. The volume element doesn't have much to do with it. You could also use cubes. Notice the the functions in the sequence are not 0 when r is not zero.

counterpoint1 said:
So ... the volume integral doesn't go to zero because the limiting process is different in spherical coordinates as opposed to Cartesian, and it matters whether I'm using a volume integral like ##\iiint dx~dy~dz## as opposed to ##\iiint dr~d\theta~d\phi## ?

EDIT: That is, I understand that the delta "function" only has meaning inside an integral, and I'm vaguely aware that a distribution is defined as a limit of functions in an integral, so the reason why the volume integral I used doesn't just go to zero is because of the specifics of integrating in spherical coordinates? I'm not too familiar with that math, honestly.

I have the exact same problem: from the definition ##\int f(x) \delta(x) dx = f(0)##, one'd think ##\int \delta^3(\vec r)~ r^2 dr d\Omega = 0##, but this is obviously wrong.

However, I struggle with understanding Dick's math-talk explanation, so is there some way to explain it based on what's written in Griffiths text on electromagnetism?

##\delta(x)## and ##\delta^3(\vec{r})## are different objects, so while you have ##x\delta(x) = 0##, it doesn't necessarily follow that ##r\delta^3(\vec{r}) = 0## (as opposed to ##r\delta(r)=0##). To write ##x\delta(x) = 0## is relatively safe because the expression will appear as part of a one-dimensional integral. You tack on a ##dx## and integrate. On the other hand, ##\delta^3(\vec{r})## only makes sense in a three-dimensional integral, so there's possible confusion arising from the volume element in different coordinate systems. You need to think carefully about what the expression ##r\delta^3(\vec{r})## means.

One of the properties of the three-dimensional delta function is
$$\int f(\vec{r}'-\vec{r})\delta^3(\vec{r}')\,d^3\vec{r}' = f(\vec{r}).$$ If you're avoiding distributions, this would, in fact, be one of the defining properties of the three-dimensional delta function. The factors that can cause that integral to vanish come from ##f##, not the volume element. So when the author says ##r \delta^3(\vec{r}) = 0##, he means that
$$\int r\delta^3(\vec{r})\,d^3\vec{r} = \iiint r\delta^3(\vec{r})\,r^2\sin\theta\,dr\,d\theta\,d\phi=0.$$ The mistake in saying that
$$\iiint \delta^3(\vec{r})\,r^2\sin\theta\,dr\,d\theta\,d\phi = \iiint [r\delta^3(\vec{r})]\,r\sin\theta\,dr\,d\theta\,d\phi = 0$$ is that the second integral is no longer an integral of the form ##\int [f(\vec{r})\delta^3(\vec{r})]\,d^3\vec{r}## so the meaning of the delta function is no longer clear. Specifically, in the context of that integral, you can't say that ##r\delta^3(\vec{r}) = 0## and deduce that the integral vanishes.

Last edited:
Likes Nikitin

1) What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to represent a point source or impulse. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinitely large.

2) How is a delta function integrated with a spherical volume integral?

To integrate a delta function with a spherical volume integral, the delta function is typically multiplied by a spherical volume element, which is expressed in terms of the radius (r), polar angle (θ), and azimuthal angle (φ) coordinates. The resulting integral can then be solved using the properties of the delta function.

3) What is the purpose of integrating a delta function with a spherical volume integral?

Integrating a delta function with a spherical volume integral allows for the calculation of quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, potentials, and energy densities in spherical systems. It is also commonly used in solving differential equations and in Fourier analysis.

4) Are there any limitations to integrating a delta function with a spherical volume integral?

One limitation is that the delta function must be located at the center of the spherical volume in order to be integrated with the spherical volume element. Additionally, the spherical volume must be symmetric around the origin.

5) Can a delta function be integrated with other types of volume integrals?

Yes, a delta function can also be integrated with cylindrical and Cartesian volume integrals. The specific form of the integration will depend on the coordinate system being used.