What does the |-sign mean in this text?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Text
In summary: That's very unconventional. But it basically amounts to what I was saying: it means that ##\vec J## depends parametrically on ##\omega##.
Nikitin
http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Exam_tfy4240_Dec_2013.pdf
solutions: http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Solution_tfy4240_Dec_2013.pdf

In problem 3 a) I'm supposed to reform the integrand from ##\vec{J}(r',t_r)## to something like ##\vec{J}(r'|\omega)##. In practice, one just extracts the ##t_r## dependent part of the function and writes what remains as ##\vec{J}(r'|\omega)##. But what does my professor mean with that ##"|"## bar? Why not just write the remaining part of the function as ##\vec{J}(r')##?

And excuse me if this is physics notation and not math notation.. In that case pls move this thread to the physics section!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The most general meaning that I know is "evaluated at" or, with super and subscripts, evaluated between. I know it best as indicating conditional probability.

I don't think it's evaluated at as the ##\omega## dependent part was taken out I think. oh well i guess I'll have to bother my prof and send him an email

I would interpret that to mean that ##\vec{J}## depends parametrically on ##\omega##.

That cannot be correct in my specific example. I think..

Nikitin said:
That cannot be correct in my specific example. I think..
Why?

Because in my example the only dependence ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## has on ##\omega## is thru ##e^{i \omega t}##, and ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t) = \vec{J}(\vec{r}|\omega) ~e^{i \omega t}## according to my professor. This is physics stuff though, not math.

Nikitin said:
Because in my example the only dependence ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## has on ##\omega## is thru ##e^{i \omega t}##, and ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t) = \vec{J}(\vec{r}|\omega) ~e^{i \omega t}## according to my professor.
That is not correct. You have that "the only dependence ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## has on ##t## is thru ##e^{i \omega t}##." This form for ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## is to give it an explicit dependence on ##t##, but it certainly doesn't mean that the prefactor is independent of ##\omega##.

DrClaude said:
That is not correct. You have that "the only dependence ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## has on ##t## is thru ##e^{i \omega t}##." This form for ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## is to give it an explicit dependence on ##t##, but it certainly doesn't mean that the prefactor is independent of ##\omega##.

How can that be the case? ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## is given by ##I(t) = I_0 e^{i \omega t}## in the problem.

He responded to my mail; it means the same as conditional probability, "r given omega " in this case.

Nikitin said:
He responded to my mail; it means the same as conditional probability, "r given omega " in this case.
That's very unconventional. But it basically amounts to what I was saying: it means that ##\vec J## depends parametrically on ##\omega##.

1. What is the purpose of the |- sign in text?

The |- sign is typically used as a separator or divider between two items or pieces of information. It helps to visually separate and organize text, making it easier to read and understand.

2. Can the |- sign have different meanings in different contexts?

Yes, the |- sign can have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. In mathematical notation, it is often used to represent absolute value. In computer programming, it can be used to denote a logical OR operation. It is important to consider the context in order to fully understand the meaning of the |- sign.

3. How is the |- sign different from a hyphen or dash?

The |- sign is different from a hyphen or dash in both its appearance and usage. A hyphen (-) is used to connect two words or parts of a word, while a dash (–) is used to indicate a pause or break in a sentence. The |- sign, on the other hand, is a vertical line and is typically used as a separator or divider between two items.

4. Is the |- sign a standard symbol or punctuation mark?

The |- sign is not a standard punctuation mark, but it is commonly used in various contexts to convey specific meanings or functions. It is often used in mathematical notation, computer programming, and even in visual design to separate and organize elements.

5. Are there any other symbols or punctuation marks similar to the |- sign?

Yes, there are several other symbols and punctuation marks that are similar in appearance and function to the |- sign. These include the forward slash (/), backslash (\), and colon (:). These symbols are also used as separators or dividers in different contexts, but they may have slightly different meanings or functions.