1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does the |-sign mean in this text?

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Exam_tfy4240_Dec_2013.pdf
    solutions: http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Solution_tfy4240_Dec_2013.pdf

In problem 3 a) I'm supposed to reform the integrand from ##\vec{J}(r',t_r)## to something like ##\vec{J}(r'|\omega)##. In practice, one just extracts the ##t_r## dependent part of the function and writes what remains as ##\vec{J}(r'|\omega)##. But what does my professor mean with that ##"|"## bar? Why not just write the remaining part of the function as ##\vec{J}(r')##?

And excuse me if this is physics notation and not math notation.. In that case pls move this thread to the physics section!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

The most general meaning that I know is "evaluated at" or, with super and subscripts, evaluated between. I know it best as indicating conditional probability.

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    I don't think it's evaluated at as the ##\omega## dependent part was taken out I think. oh well i guess I'll have to bother my prof and send him an email

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I would interpret that to mean that ##\vec{J}## depends parametrically on ##\omega##.

6. Nov 27, 2014 #5
    That cannot be correct in my specific example. I think..

7. Nov 27, 2014 #6

DrClaude

Why?

8. Nov 27, 2014 #7
    Because in my example the only dependence ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## has on ##\omega## is thru ##e^{i \omega t}##, and ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t) = \vec{J}(\vec{r}|\omega) ~e^{i \omega t}## according to my professor. This is physics stuff though, not math.

9. Nov 27, 2014 #8

DrClaude

That is not correct. You have that "the only dependence ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## has on ##t## is thru ##e^{i \omega t}##." This form for ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## is to give it an explicit dependence on ##t##, but it certainly doesn't mean that the prefactor is independent of ##\omega##.

10. Nov 27, 2014 #9
    How can that be the case? ##\vec{J}(\vec{r},t)## is given by ##I(t) = I_0 e^{i \omega t}## in the problem.

11. Nov 28, 2014 #10
    He responded to my mail; it means the same as conditional probability, "r given omega " in this case.

12. Dec 1, 2014 #11

DrClaude

That's very unconventional. But it basically amounts to what I was saying: it means that ##\vec J## depends parametrically on ##\omega##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook