Integration problem using Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation discusses alternative methods for integrating and differentiating, particularly in the context of the function f(x)=n(n+1)I_{n+2}-2^{n+1}+\pi - \pi^2 I_n. The question is a standard example for integration by parts and using a Weierstraß substitution. The result is established by interating this by parts and substituting for J_{n+1} in terms of J_n before taking imaginary parts. There is some discrepancy in the final result, with the n coefficient disappearing in one step.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The integral ##I_{n}##, where ##n## is positive is given by ##I_{n}=\int_{0.5}^1x^{-n} sinπx\, dx##

show that,

##n(n+1)I_{n+2}=2^{n+1} + π-π^2 I_{n}##
Relevant Equations
integration by parts...
1594298971707.png

i would appreciate alternative method...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can differentiate to check it, but watch out for the integration limits, as differentiation isn't exactly the opposite of integration.

hi fresh...long time...ok you may direct me...i am trying to refresh in this things...

Let's define ##f(x)=n(n+1)I_{n+2}-2^{n+1}+\pi - \pi^2 I_n##. Then show that ##f'(x)=0## which means ##x \longmapsto f(x)## is constant, say ##f(x)=C##. At last calculate ##C## from the definition of ##f(x)##, or show that only ##C=0## is possible.

I haven't done it. so I don't know how it will work. The entire question is a standard example for integration by parts. Another possibility could be using a Weierstraß substitution, but I don't think this would change a lot.

[itex]I_n[/itex] is the imaginary part of [tex]
J_n = \int_{1/2}^1 x^{-n} \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \pi x}\,dx
[/tex] and you can establish the result* by interating this by parts once to get a relation between [itex]J_{n+2}[/itex] and [itex]J_{n+1}[/itex], and you can then substitute for [itex]J_{n+1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]J_n[/itex] before taking imaginary parts.

*So far as I can tell, there should be an [itex]n[/itex] multiplying [itex]2^{n+1}[/itex]. chwala's work agrees with this until the last line, where it mysteriously disappears upon multiplying [itex](n+1)I_{n+2}[/itex] by [itex]n[/itex].

Likes SammyS

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule from differentiation and involves breaking down the original integral into simpler parts that can be more easily integrated.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is particularly useful when the integral involves a product of two functions, and one of the functions is easier to integrate than the other. It can also be used to simplify integrals that involve products of trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, or exponential functions.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions being multiplied together and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula is derived from the product rule for differentiation.

4. How do I choose which function to use as u and which to use as dv?

When using integration by parts, it is important to choose u and dv in a way that simplifies the integral as much as possible. A common method is to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate when integrated.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is not choosing the correct u and dv, which can lead to a more complicated integral. It is also important to be careful with signs and constants when applying the formula. Additionally, it is important to check for any special cases, such as when one of the functions is a polynomial or when the integral involves trigonometric functions.