Interesting video on: Why are 2 logic gates faster than 1?

In summary, this video explores the concept of why using 2 logic gates in a circuit can result in faster processing speeds than using just 1 gate. The video discusses the principles of Boolean logic and how combining multiple logic gates allows for more complex operations to be performed simultaneously, increasing efficiency and speed. It also touches on the physical design of logic gates and how their connections can affect processing speed. Overall, the video provides a clear explanation of the advantages of using 2 logic gates instead of 1 in circuit design.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you summarize it please? I'm at work, and can't really watch a video right now... Thanks.

The presentation is essentially a summary of this lecture [1], but it's done in a very clear and concise manner, and he uses the OpenRoad ASIC flow [2] with the SkyWater130 PDK [3], which means he can give real world examples.

It starts with an example which is roughly equivalent to slide 22 from lecture 6, but he simulates it, and then he does an example of iterating the front end synthesis of a multiply block, with increasingly tight timing constraints, which is roughly a demonstration of slide 29. But again, it's done with a real flow using a real PDK, which is something one doesn't often see.

[1] http://pages.hmc.edu/harris/cmosvlsi/4e/lect/lect6.pdf
[2] https://github.com/The-OpenROAD-Project/OpenLane/tree/b6f0dc344d83a58f0d28bac1e589fe0295844c69
[3] https://github.com/google/skywater-pdk

Whatever. I'll watch it tonight when I get home.

berkeman said:
Can you summarize it please?
This is an irrational analysis that makes a false claim in the title.
It assumes the one transistor is a logic gate that is charging a huge fixed capacitance with a limited drain current. Or that a two stage amplifier can charge the same huge capacitance faster.
It employs parallel transistors, and confuses the term gate with transistor.
To charge a capacitor faster, more current is needed for a shorter time.
If it confuses you, then analyse it rationally using current sources, charge, energy and capacitors.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
This is an irrational analysis that makes a false claim in the title.

https://github.com/mattvenn/simulate-gate/blob/inverter-stages/simulation.spice

This is the spice deck he used in the video to demonstrate 2 and 3 gates in series are faster than 1, can you kindly point out the error?

It's following the same steps in the example in the lecture from Weste and Harris's text. (http://pages.hmc.edu/harris/cmosvlsi/4e/index.html) That example, which starts on slide 22 in the deck I linked, shows (on slide 29) for the register file given (data path load = 16) the path with two gates in series (row 2) is faster than the path with one gate (row 1). So which claim is the false one?

In fact, the path with 4 gates in series (row 7) was the faster one.

Baluncore said:
It employs parallel transistors, and confuses the term gate with transistor.
To charge a capacitor faster, more current is needed for a shorter time.

Umm... parallel transistors leads to more current, no? Since we have more current, it will charge the same capacitor faster.

This can be true even with a logical fanout of 1, so ignore the big cap at the end. Different gates will have different input and output capacitances as well as different drive strengths. Managing these trade-offs can lead to cases were multiple gates in series are faster than 1 even though they implement the same boolean equation, and this is exactly what the yosys tool (via the synthesizer ABC) is doing at timestamp 7:50.

Last edited:
eq1 said:
So which claim is the false one?
It is a false claim that two "logic gates" in series are faster than one. That is only true when the logic gates are being misused as power amplifiers, driving capacitive loads, which makes it an impedance transformer, not a logic gate. An inverter is not really a "logic gate" as it is not combinatorial logic.

Two gates in parallel are faster than one, which is what is being done by using many parallel transistors in the second stage of the amplifier, wrongly termed a "gate".

One does not use a logic gate to drive a large capacitive load. To do that one uses an array of parallel of transistors. The number of stages of amplification determines the total delay time, area and power.

eq1 said:
Umm... parallel transistors leads to more current, no?
I don't understand. Are you agreeing with me, or questioning if the addition of parallel drain currents should be added ?

You appear to be lost in the detail, and the misuse of the term "logic gate".

• Informative
Likes berkeman
This is so much simpler than it appears, at least IMO. His gates aren't the same. The first gate is small and has an easily driven input. Then the gain from that drives the next stage which is big and can drive his bigger (low impedance) load. He seems to think inverters are always made from 2 fets, I guess.

I would retitle this as "Why most good amplifiers (or gates) have separate input and output stages."

Likes Tom.G and Baluncore
Also, it didn't inspire a lot of confidence when he said he thought CMOS supply current was from shoot-thru currents and was surprised to learn that the gate charge currents were significant too.

CMOS is ALL ABOUT gate capacitance, it's like the only thing that matters.

eq1 said:
That must mean this spice deck has an error. It clearly shows signal Y3_16 arriving before Y1_1. Can you please point out the error?
You are easily lead by the nose.
A "two stage power amplifier" is not "two logic gates in series".

DaveE said:
Also, it didn't inspire a lot of confidence when he said he thought CMOS supply current was from shoot-thru currents and was surprised to learn that the gate charge currents were significant too.
That is what got me to question his logic. He is a neophyte.

DaveE said:
He seems to think inverters are always made from 2 fets, I guess.

I get the impression you all didn't actually watch the video, which is fine. But I think it's unfair to make these claims in that case.

In the video at timestamp 2:50 he shows the layout of inv4 and then inv16 and he clearly shows there are multiple transistors so he's obviously aware some gates are made from more than 2 FETs.

Last edited:
eq1 said:
I get the impression you all didn't actually watch the video, which is fine.
I watched it and it was a waste of time.
I understand the mistakes he is making, and recognise my mistake at being hooked by the title of the video you posted, that is now wasting more of our time.
You need a better crap detector.

Likes phinds
Baluncore said:
You are easily lead by the nose.
A "two stage power amplifier" is not "two logic gates in series".
Ummm... what? Who is talking about amplifiers?

I'll copy/paste part of the deck for you. Where are the amplifiers?

* 1 inverter
X1_1 A_1 VGND VGND VPWR VPWR Y1_1 sky130_fd_sc_hd__inv_1
C1 Y1_1 VGND 0.1pF

* 2 inverters
X2_1 A_2 VGND VGND VPWR VPWR Y2_1 sky130_fd_sc_hd__inv_1
X2_8 Y2_1 VGND VGND VPWR VPWR Y2_8 sky130_fd_sc_hd__inv_8
C2 Y2_8 VGND 0.1pF

* 3 inverters
X3_1 A_3 VGND VGND VPWR VPWR Y3_1 sky130_fd_sc_hd__inv_1
X3_4 Y3_1 VGND VGND VPWR VPWR Y3_4 sky130_fd_sc_hd__inv_4
X3_16 Y3_4 VGND VGND VPWR VPWR Y3_16 sky130_fd_sc_hd__inv_16
C3 Y3_16 VGND 0.1pF

Baluncore said:
I understand the mistakes he is making

Thank you for letting us know. I'll email the SkyWater Foundry and tell them they are wasting their time on all the gate variants in the PDK. They will be happy to hear that because it's going to save them a lot of time.

eq1 said:
They will be happy to hear that because it's going to save them a lot of time.
No, they will not be happy as this is all part of their misleading advertising.
They have hooked you as their free agent, and you are failing.

eq1 said:
Ummm... what? Who is talking about amplifiers?
YOU ARE.
The first "logic gate" is a pre-amplifier stage.
The second "logic gate" is the output stage of a power amplifier.

eq1 said:
Who is talking about amplifiers?
Gates are amplifiers, amplifiers are gates. Yes, they are optimized for different applications. But most of the key concepts are the same. My advice, grasshopper, leave the SPICE alone for a while and read a good textbook about transistor amplifiers.

Likes Tom.G
eq1 said:
Thank you for letting us know. I'll email the SkyWater Foundry and tell them they are wasting their time on all the gate variants in the PDK. They will be happy to hear that because it's going to save them a lot of time.
Sorry you aren't liking our answers. Perhaps you should just stick with the answers you wanted to hear? I'll go away now.

Okay, I'm home now and will watch the video soon. For now the thread is locked.

Baluncore said:
It is a false claim that two "logic gates" in series are faster than one. That is only true when the logic gates are being misused as power amplifiers, driving capacitive loads, which makes it an impedance transformer, not a logic gate. An inverter is not really a "logic gate" as it is not combinatorial logic.
Baluncore said:
I watched it and it was a waste of time.
Agreed. If he submitted this along with his resume in a job application to me and my company, his job application would be rejected.

He obviously has no real experience in designing CMOS ICs, and is just playing around with tools and guessing at stuff. You don't drive a large fan-out with one gate, no matter how many parallel transistors you stack at the output. You use a structure like a clock tree instead. If you have a high capacitance load, you use an amplifier stage like @Baluncore said.

I'm not going to change the thread title and reopen it. @eq1 -- if you want to open a new thread to talk about real digital CMOS IC design and timing, please do that with a better reference than a clumsy YouTube video from an amatuer.

Likes Rive and Tom.G

1. How do logic gates work?

Logic gates are electronic circuits that perform logical operations on input signals to produce an output signal. They are made up of transistors that can be configured to act as switches, allowing them to manipulate binary data.

2. What is the difference between 1 logic gate and 2 logic gates?

The main difference is that 2 logic gates can process more complex operations than 1 logic gate. This is because 2 logic gates can work together to perform multiple operations simultaneously, while 1 logic gate can only perform one operation at a time.

3. Why are 2 logic gates faster than 1?

2 logic gates are faster than 1 because they can process data in parallel, meaning they can perform multiple operations at the same time. This results in a faster overall processing speed compared to a single logic gate.

4. How do 2 logic gates increase processing speed?

2 logic gates increase processing speed by dividing the workload between them. This allows for more efficient use of resources and faster processing of data. Additionally, the use of multiple gates can reduce the number of steps needed to complete a task, further increasing speed.

5. Are there any downsides to using 2 logic gates instead of 1?

One potential downside is that using 2 logic gates may require more physical space and resources, which can increase the cost of production. Additionally, if the design or configuration of the gates is not optimized, it may result in slower processing speeds than a single gate. However, in most cases, the benefits of using 2 logic gates outweigh any potential downsides.