Interruption in BSEE transfer degree, what to do

In summary, the speaker went to community college and transferred to a private university, but due to a family situation and an inheritance, they have decided to move to Arizona and work before continuing their education at a lower in-state rate. They plan to contact an advisor at the University of Arizona and are willing to repeat some classes. They are wondering if it is feasible to continue their degree after taking a break between their junior and senior years and are aware of the loan payment timeline.
vermin
Hi, so I went to community college and got an AS engineering transfer degree, transferred to an expensive private university and completed 1 year there. This summer, during my internship, a family situation came up that requires me to move to Arizona. Also, I got an inheritance from my grandpa who asked that I spend it on tuition. So, for several reasons it made more sense to quit the university (stop accumulating loan debt), move to AZ, work and later continue school there at super low in-state rates.

The thing is, this is completely off the map of any direction I thought school would take. First thing I'm going to do is contact an adviser at Univ. of Arizona. I'm sure I will have to repeat some classes, which is OK because while I finished community college with nearly a 4.0, my first year at the university finished at 2.7. There are definitely a couple classes I wouldn't mind re-taking.

So my question is if there's anyone who can advise on how feasible it is to continue an interrupted degree, it seems like something you just shouldn't do, between your junior and senior years. I know I'll have to start making loan payments after 6 months, which isn't bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
vermin said:
So my question is if there's anyone who can advise on how feasible it is to continue an interrupted degree, it seems like something you just shouldn't do

If that were so, nobody who left college would ever return. Literally millions of people have.

What is a BSEE transfer degree?

A BSEE transfer degree is a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering that is obtained after transferring from a community college or a different university. This degree is often earned before transferring to a four-year university to complete a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.

What causes an interruption in a BSEE transfer degree?

An interruption in a BSEE transfer degree can be caused by various factors such as taking a leave of absence, changing majors, or not meeting the academic requirements for transferring.

What should I do if I face an interruption in my BSEE transfer degree?

If you face an interruption in your BSEE transfer degree, it is important to speak with your academic advisor and the transfer office at your university. They can help you figure out the best course of action to get back on track and continue with your degree.

Can I still transfer to a four-year university if I have an interruption in my BSEE transfer degree?

Yes, you can still transfer to a four-year university even if you have an interruption in your BSEE transfer degree. However, it is important to communicate with the transfer office at your desired university to understand their policies and requirements for transfer students.

Will an interruption in my BSEE transfer degree affect my job prospects?

Having an interruption in your BSEE transfer degree may affect your job prospects, as it may raise questions about your academic performance and commitment. However, you can address this in your job applications and interviews by explaining the reasons for the interruption and emphasizing your skills and knowledge in electrical engineering.