Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity Homework

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a particle moving in a rotating frame and the equations of motion for this scenario. The person is struggling to understand the solution provided, which is not properly formatted and seems too advanced. They are hoping for help in understanding the problem. The solution is then provided, which uses polar coordinates and includes additional variables such as time and final position vector. The person is questioning if it is possible to simplify the problem using cartesian coordinates.
putongren
I already have the solutions emailed to me from a D H Lawden textbook. I have trouble understanding the solution as the solution is not formatted properly, and the answer seems to be a little too advanced for me. I hope that some one can help me understand the problem.

1. Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is moving in the plane Oxy under the action of a force f. Oxy is an inertial frame. Ox'y' is rotating relative to the inertial frame so that angle x'Ox = [itex] \omega [/itex] . (r,[itex]\theta[/itex])are the polar components of f, (ar,a[itex] \omega [/itex]) are the polar components of the particle's acceleration relative to Ox'y', v is the particle's speed relative to this frame and [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle its direction of motion makes with the radius vector in this frame, obtain the equations of motion in the form:

mar = fr +2m[itex]\omega [/itex] sin [itex]\theta[/itex] + mr[itex]\omega [/itex]2

mar = fr +2m[itex]\omega [/itex] sin [itex]\theta[/itex] + mr[itex]\omega [/itex]2

Deduce that the motion relative to the rotating frame is in accordance with the second law if, in addition to f, following forces are also taken to act on the particle: (i) m[itex]\omega [/itex]2r radially outwards (the centrifugal force, (iii) 2m[itex]\omega [/itex]v at right angles to the direction of motion (the Coriolis force) (iii) tranversely (The latter force vanishes if the rotation is uniform.)

Homework Equations

Ok. So I'm looking at the solution and I don't understand how they progress from mathematical argument to the next mathematical argument. Maybe I'm weak on polar calculus.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to attach the solution later, since I'll have to scan that specific solution from the big solution set that comes from the book. As I mentioned before, the answer is not formatted properly, but it might still be clear enough for someone with better expertise to examine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could the angle x'Ox be ##\omega t## ?

Homework Equations

[/B]Ok. So I'm looking at the solution and I don't understand how they progress from mathematical argument to the next mathematical argument. Maybe I'm weak on polar calculus.
That are not relevant equations !

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to attach the solution later, since I'll have to scan that specific solution from the big solution set that comes from the book. As I mentioned before, the answer is not formatted properly, but it might still be clear enough for someone with better expertise to examine.
And that isn't an attempt at a solution. You want to show your own work instead of dumping a picture on the folks who try to help you !

Yeah, start to work out the problem yourself. That helps more than staring at ready solutions!

OK.. it's been 3 years... I'm just picked up the book recently and I'm trying again. I made some typos, so will correct them now:
let (r', Θ) = the final position vector in respect to the inertial frame of reference in polar coordinates, t = time arbitrarily elapsed.

I will attempt to convert the problem from using polar coordinates to cartesian coordinates.

since everyone knows x = xo + v t + .5 a t2,
y coordinate: r' sinΘ = r sin (θ + ω) + v sin (Φ + ω) t + .5 arsin aθt2

x coordinate: r cos (θ + ω) + v cos (Φ + ω) t + .5 arcos aθt2

I realize that I added a lot more variables such as t and (r', Θ), which made the solution more complex. Is it possible to simplify the problem using this method. The solution makes no sense to me.

Here is the solution.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 448

1. What is tensor calculus?

Tensor calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe how geometric quantities behave in different directions and coordinates. It combines the concepts of vectors and matrices to represent higher-order geometric quantities that are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is tensor calculus important?

Tensor calculus is important because it provides a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and solving problems in fields such as general relativity, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics. It allows for the description and manipulation of complex geometric quantities, making it a crucial tool in many scientific and engineering applications.

3. What is the relationship between tensor calculus and relativity?

Tensor calculus is essential for understanding the mathematical foundations of general relativity, which is a theory that describes the gravitational force as a curvature of spacetime. In this theory, tensors are used to represent the curvature of spacetime, and tensor calculus is used to solve equations that describe the behavior of matter and energy in this curved space.

4. How is tensor calculus used in physics?

In physics, tensor calculus is used to describe and analyze physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, force, and energy in a geometric context. It is particularly important in fields such as general relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, where it allows for the formulation and solution of equations that describe complex physical phenomena.

5. Is tensor calculus difficult to learn?

Tensor calculus can be challenging to learn, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and notation. However, with proper instruction and practice, it can be understood and applied effectively. It is important to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and multivariable calculus before attempting to learn tensor calculus. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available to help with learning this subject.