Inverse Fourier Transform of e^{-|\omega|\alpha}

In summary, the inverse Fourier transform of F(\omega)=e^{-|\omega|\alpha}\,(\alpha>0) is \frac{2\alpha}{x^{2}+\alpha^{2}}. The integral was broken up into two parts and solved, but a minus sign mistake was made in the second integral, which was corrected.
PiRho31416
[Solved] Inverse Fourier Transform

Homework Statement

If
[tex]F(\omega)=e^{-|\omega|\alpha}\,(\alpha>0)[/tex],
determine the inverse Fourier transform of [tex]F(\omega)[/tex]. The answer is [tex]\frac{2\alpha}{x^{2}+\alpha^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Inverse Fourier Transform is defined as:
[tex]f(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F(\omega)e^{-i\omega x}\, d\omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I broke up the equation into two different integrals.
[tex] F(\omega)=e^{-|\omega|\alpha}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-|\omega|\alpha}e^{-i\omega x}d\omega=\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{\omega(\alpha-ix)}+\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-\omega(\alpha+ix)}d\omega [/tex]

[tex]\frac{e^{\omega(\alpha-ix)}}{\alpha-ix}\bigg|_{\omega=-\infty}^{\omega=0}+\frac{e^{-\omega(\alpha-ix)}}{\alpha-ix}\bigg|_{\omega=0}^{\omega=\infty}=\frac{1}{\alpha-ix}+\frac{1}{\alpha+ix}=\frac{\alpha+ix+\alpha-ix}{\alpha^{2}+x^{2}}=\frac{2\alpha}{\alpha^{2}+x^{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got the sign of the second term wrong.

I don't see where the sign is wrong.

I broke it up the absolute value so it reads like follows:

[tex]f(\omega)=\begin{cases}
e^{\omega\alpha} & \mbox{if }\omega<0\\
e^{-\omega\alpha} & \mbox{if }\omega>0\end{cases}[/tex]

I'm referring to the second integral. Once you integrated and before you plugged in the limits, you should have a minus sign in front of the second term.

Got it! Dang those minus signs :-p Thanks!

Related to Inverse Fourier Transform of e^{-|\omega|\alpha}

What is an Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a signal in the frequency domain and transforms it back to the time domain. It is the inverse operation of the Fourier Transform, which transforms a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain.

Why is the Inverse Fourier Transform important?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is important because it allows us to analyze and understand signals in both the time and frequency domains. This is useful in applications such as signal processing, image and sound analysis, and data compression.

How is the Inverse Fourier Transform calculated?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves complex numbers and integrals. It can be calculated manually or using software programs such as MATLAB or Python.

What is the difference between the Inverse Fourier Transform and the Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform and the Fourier Transform are inverse operations of each other. The main difference is that the Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform converts it back from the frequency domain to the time domain.

What are some real-world applications of the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used for signal filtering, noise reduction, image and sound processing, and data compression. It is also used in medical imaging, radar and sonar technologies, and telecommunications.