Investigating Bouncing Ball: Height vs Time

In summary, you are investigating the relationship between height and the time between the first and second bounce of a ball, using the velocity and kinetic energy equations to analyze your findings.
pkallberg21

Homework Statement

Drop the ball you have been given and watch it bounce: once and rebound, twice and so on. What could we measure in this process? What variables could change? What would change? Now investigate anyone aspect of the bouncing of the ball.

This is my research question: How will the height affect the time between the first and second bounce of the ball?

I started by dropping a ball from a height of 1 meter. I then used a stopwatch to measure the time between the first and second bounce. I did this for each 10cm until I reached 0 cm.

Homework Equations

v=displacement/time
Ek= 1/2 mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the velocity formula above to get a velocity for each 10cm measured. As I am writing up my lab, I am having trouble getting thoughts down on paper, specifically the theory. Maybe someone could tell me if what I am doing seems correct from a physics point of view, so I am not totally off.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
From a physics point of view, what you are doing is correct in that you are measuring the velocity of the ball at different heights to see how it affects the time between the first and second bounce. The equation you used, v = displacement/time, can be used to measure the velocity of the ball as it moves through space. Additionally, you can use the equation Ek = 1/2 mv2 to calculate the kinetic energy of the ball at each height. This will allow you to compare the energy of the ball at each height and see how it affects the time between the first and second bounce.

1. How does the height of a bouncing ball change over time?

The height of a bouncing ball decreases over time due to the effects of gravity. As the ball bounces, it loses some of its energy with each bounce, resulting in a lower height each time.

2. What factors can affect the height of a bouncing ball?

The height of a bouncing ball can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface the ball is bouncing on, the material of the ball, the initial height from which the ball is dropped, and the air pressure in the surrounding environment.

3. How does the elasticity of a ball affect its bounce height?

The elasticity, or how much a ball can deform and then return to its original shape, affects its bounce height. A more elastic ball will have a higher bounce height compared to a less elastic ball, as it can store and release more energy with each bounce.

4. Is there a relationship between the initial height and the number of bounces of a ball?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the initial height from which a ball is dropped and the number of bounces it makes. As the initial height increases, the ball has more potential energy and will bounce more times before coming to a stop.

5. Can the temperature of the ball affect its bounce height?

Yes, the temperature of a ball can affect its bounce height. When a ball is heated, its molecules move faster and the ball becomes more elastic, resulting in a higher bounce height. Conversely, a colder ball will have less energy and a lower bounce height.