Is a Double Major in Economics and Mathematics Worth It?

In summary: She says that a math degree definitely gives you an edge in the job market and, more importantly, that you can always find a way to further your education if you are interested in doing so. So, I would definitely recommend going for the math degree if you are considering it.
ajecon
I am an economics major with a minor in mathematics. I have three semesters left in college, but if I took an additional semester I could complete a double major in econ and math. If completed, I would be interested in pursuing a master's in applied mathematics. My hope is that this will be broad enough to help provide diversity in options. However, I could also be interested in a master's of engineering. Help me, are these good ideas, is the extra semester worth it, I'm looking for a cost benefit analysis. My school is expensive but have no student loans because I am very lucky.

Physics news on Phys.org
If something is worth it or not is dependent on your end game. You talk about graduate degrees you may wish to get but you do not mention what careers you want to get into. Perhaps answering that would help us give you a better opinion?

That is the thing, I am not positive yet. Preferably lucrative but I'm very open. Generally banking and financial application are among my interests but, if possible, potentially petroleum, electric, or nuclear engineering. I don't know, since I have limited work experience I'm unsure what my working passion would be but I do know I am interested in a good salary.

I suggest to go after the Math degree too. It will allow you to stand out from the other candidates and may also broaden your possible career options as well as giving you a pathway for graduate studies. One semester of time and debt for a Math degree? That is your question. Only you can make that choice.

one semester will be a tiny blip of time 5 years from now. A tiny blip for a double major? go for it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
For what it's worth...

I spent an extra semester in college to finish my second major in math. Four months after graduating I decided to go to grad school in physics, but before this I had been trying my luck applying to jobs. I must say the it was my math degree that got my foot in the door for interviews. I guess my PhD in physics kind of makes my undergrad work irrelevant, but if I'd gone straight to the job market I think my math degree would definitely be worth it. Nowadays at work, I sometimes see people applying to positions in my company with just a math BS, and they are quite good candidates. Your milage may vary, but I think that a math degree is quite valuable.

ajecon said:
That is the thing, I am not positive yet. Preferably lucrative but I'm very open. Generally banking and financial application are among my interests but, if possible, potentially petroleum, electric, or nuclear engineering. I don't know, since I have limited work experience I'm unsure what my working passion would be but I do know I am interested in a good salary.
My sister has a degree in business and math (not sure if that is a dual major, major/minor or what) and is a highly successful financial analyst (CFA).

1. Is a math degree worth it?

Yes, a math degree can be highly valuable and versatile in many career fields. Not only does it develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but it also demonstrates a strong quantitative background that is in high demand in industries such as finance, data analytics, and technology.

2. Will I be able to find a job with a math degree?

Yes, there are many job opportunities available for individuals with a math degree. Aside from traditional careers in academia and research, math majors are sought after in industries such as finance, insurance, technology, and data analytics.

3. What kind of salary can I expect with a math degree?

The salary for individuals with a math degree can vary depending on the job and industry, but it is typically higher than the average for other majors. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the average starting salary for math majors in 2019 was $62,393.

4. Is a math degree difficult to obtain?

Like any degree, a math degree requires dedication and hard work. Math courses can be challenging, but the level of difficulty depends on the individual's aptitude and interest in the subject. With determination and a strong work ethic, a math degree can be a rewarding and achievable goal.

5. What can I do with a math degree?

A math degree can open up many career paths, such as data scientist, actuary, financial analyst, statistician, operations researcher, and more. It also provides a solid foundation for graduate studies in fields such as mathematics, economics, and computer science.