Is Air Resistance Negligible in Projectile Motion Experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulated lab on projectile motion with air resistance. The poster is confused about the theoretical acceleration results, which are approximately equal to -9.81 m/s^2, the value of gravity. They also mention that the heavier object had a smaller acceleration, which makes sense given that acceleration is inversely proportional to mass. The conversation also touches on the equations used for the simulation and the need to consider drag in two dimensions. The issue of the simulated motion seemingly not suffering any drag is also brought up and the poster is advised to check their code and parameter values.
Koin
Homework Statement
I'm working on a simulated lab that measures the range and height covered relative to time for two objects in projectile motion fired at an angle on a leveled surface on the ground (so they're starting from a height of 0m), and there is air resistance acting on them (from the experimental findings its effect is minimal).
When I tried to find the theoretical acceleration for the objects I got the same acceleration for both objects even though air resistance is supposed to act on them differently (due to differences in mass, area, drag coefficient, textures, etc) and I also got the acceleration to be approximately -9.81, which is the value of gravity, and I thought this odd because air resistance is involved so it should have diverged from this value.
In the lab, the heavier object had the smaller approximation, which I got from making a graph on excel, finding the position equation, and differentiating twice, and this makes sense because acceleration is inversely proportional to mass. Also, the smaller object covered less horizontal distance and reached a lower maximum height and this also makes sense because light objects are more affected by air resistance.

Maybe why I am getting weird theoretical accelerations lies in the way I calculated it but I'm not sure conceptually what I did wrong. The relevant equations I used are listed. I would really appreciate any input on the process I used or my assumptions.

Thank you,
Koin
Relevant Equations
variables:
g= 9.81m/s^2
V = initial velocity or terminal velocity (I'm not sure)
Cd = coefficient of drag
r = rho or air density
A = cross-sectional area of object
Acc. for ascent: -g - (Cd*A*r*V^2)/2m
Acc. for descent: -g + (Cd*A*r*V^2)/2m
total acceleration for flight: the average of Acc. for ascent and Acc. for descent
Total acceleration equaled = -9.81

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Koin, :welcome: !
Koin said:
Please clarify what you mean with 'total acceleration' and how you come to his result of -9.81 (##\pm##?? ) m/s2.

Did cd come out substantially different from zero ?

BvU said:
Hello Koin, :welcome: !
Please clarify what you mean with 'total acceleration' and how you come to his result of -9.81 (##\pm##?? ) m/s2.

Did cd come out substantially different from zero ?
Thank you BvU!

What I mean by 'total acceleration' is the acceleration for the total flight or path in the horizontal direction. I found this theoretically by first finding the accelerations for ascent and descent with the equations I listed and then finding the average of the two for each object individually. The Cd given for object one was 0.05 and for object two was 0.47. The cross-sectional areas for both objects were really small. The mass for object one was really small compared to the mass of object 2.

Koin said:
Homework Statement:: I'm working on a simulated lab that measures the range and height covered relative to time for two objects in projectile motion fired at an angle on a leveled surface on the ground (so they're starting from a height of 0m), and there is air resistance acting on them (from the experimental findings its effect is minimal).
When I tried to find the theoretical acceleration for the objects I got the same acceleration for both objects even though air resistance is supposed to act on them differently (due to differences in mass, area, drag coefficient, textures, etc) and I also got the acceleration to be approximately -9.81, which is the value of gravity, and I thought this odd because air resistance is involved so it should have diverged from this value.
In the lab, the heavier object had the smaller approximation, which I got from making a graph on excel, finding the position equation, and differentiating twice, and this makes sense because acceleration is inversely proportional to mass. Also, the smaller object covered less horizontal distance and reached a lower maximum height and this also makes sense because light objects are more affected by air resistance.

Maybe why I am getting weird theoretical accelerations lies in the way I calculated it but I'm not sure conceptually what I did wrong. The relevant equations I used are listed. I would really appreciate any input on the process I used or my assumptions.

Thank you,
Koin
Relevant Equations:: variables:
g= 9.81m/s^2
Cd = coefficient of drag
r = rho or air density
A = cross-sectional area of object
Acc. for descent: -g + (Cd*A*r*V^2)/2m
total acceleration for flight: the average of Acc. for ascent and Acc. for descent

Also, sorry! I made a typo: instead of a smaller approximation, it should have said a smaller acceleration for the heavier object.

Koin said:
Since V occurs in your equations for the simulation you need to know what it represents. It's the speed at any instant, V=V(t).
You say the projectile is launched at an angle. You need to consider the drag in two dimensions. The magnitude of the drag depends on the speed, while the direction of the drag is according to the direction of the velocity. This means you need to calculate the magnitude of the drag and then resolve it into horizontal and vertical components to find the horizontal and vertical accelerations. You cannot consider the two coordinates completely independently.

But in regard to your observation that the simulated motion seems to suffer no drag, you need to look at the values you are computing for drag and how these compare numerically with the gravitational force. It sounds like they are much smaller, so you need to figure out why. Or maybe you just have a bug in your code.
If still stuck, please post your code and the numerical values for the parameters.

haruspex said:
Since V occurs in your equations for the simulation you need to know what it represents. It's the speed at any instant, V=V(t).
You say the projectile is launched at an angle. You need to consider the drag in two dimensions. The magnitude of the drag depends on the speed, while the direction of the drag is according to the direction of the velocity. This means you need to calculate the magnitude of the drag and then resolve it into horizontal and vertical components to find the horizontal and vertical accelerations. You cannot consider the two coordinates completely independently.

But in regard to your observation that the simulated motion seems to suffer no drag, you need to look at the values you are computing for drag and how these compare numerically with the gravitational force. It sounds like they are much smaller, so you need to figure out why. Or maybe you just have a bug in your code.
If still stuck, please post your code and the numerical values for the parameters.
It's actually not my code. The simulation is by Univ. of Colorado's PhET. I also just realized that where I found the equations for ascent and descent acceleration (a NASA source) it said descent acceleration was 0 because after maximum height has been reached, the acceleration becomes 0 and terminal velocity takes over...so I guess I don't need to find the average and can just use the ascent's acceleration.

But it still differs significantly from the experimental acceleration. Excel gave me the y-position equations when I inputted the heights and times for each object individually. Then I differentiated twice to find the accelerations in the y direction. They are less than the theoretical accelerations I calculated for the ascents.

I'm thinking this could be attributed to the PhET simulation using a really low air density value as rho is not given in the simulation and for my calculations, I used 1.21...which means air resistance has a lesser impact in the simulation. Additionally, I tried to find the air density used by PhET by replacing 1.21 in my equation for ascent with x and setting the whole equation equal to the acceleration I derived from Excel. It was almost 88% less than 1.21. However, when I tried to find the air density for the second object the value was not consistent, the absolute value was less than 1.21 and it was negative.

Another thing I was considering was that differentiating the Excel-given position equation twice to find the acceleration is different from finding the acceleration of the ascent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Koin said:
descent acceleration was 0 because after maximum height has been reached, the acceleration becomes 0 and terminal velocity takes over
That makes no sense. It will descend some distance before approaching terminal velocity. Please post the link.
Koin said:
Excel gave me the y-position equations when I inputted the heights and times for each object individually.
What heights and times? Did you get those from the PhET simulation? What were your inputs to that? Maybe post a link for that too.
Koin said:
less than the theoretical accelerations I calculated for the ascents
How did you calculate those?

haruspex said:
That makes no sense. It will descend some distance before approaching terminal velocity. Please post the link.

What heights and times? Did you get those from the PhET simulation? What were your inputs to that? Maybe post a link for that too.

How did you calculate those?
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/flteqs.html
That's where I got that information on acceleration for descents from.

And yes I got the heights and times from the PhET simulation:
https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/projectile-motion/latest/projectile-motion_en.html
to see the lab playout click the box for lab,
select the object (my first object was a football)
keep the diameters and masses how you find them
check the air resistance box
set the angle mine was (45 degrees)
set the speed mine was (15m/s)

To find the ascents I used one of the relevant equations I listed in my original post:

haruspex said:
Also if you mean instantaneous velocity I’m not sure how effective incorporating drag force into my calculations for acceleration is going to be because doesn’t that mean I would have to find the velocity at each second (time was given in seconds) and repeatedly update the velocity to update the acceleration. I guess this just goes to show that acceleration isn’t constant throughout the projectile motion with air resistance involved and if so what exactly is the value I got from making a trendline on Excel for the heights and times and finding a position equation and then differentiating twice?

Koin said:
That's where I got that information on acceleration for descents from.
... where it does specify light objects. The lighter the object, in relation to its cross section, the sooner it will near terminal velocity, but it is still not immediately on starting descent.
Koin said:
select the object (my first object was a football)
I note that that selection sets the drag coefficient to 0.05. That is much too low. See e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient, where 0.5 is nearer the mark for a sphere. For pumpkin, PhET more reasonably assumes 0.6.
So I tried selecting pumpkin but putting the mass as 1kg, the lowest it would allow, and the diameter as 0.27, so that the mass to area ratio was about the same as for a football. The difference between with and without air resistance was a lot starker.

Koin said:
Also if you mean instantaneous velocity I’m not sure how effective incorporating drag force into my calculations for acceleration is going to be because doesn’t that mean I would have to find the velocity at each second (time was given in seconds) and repeatedly update the velocity to update the acceleration. I guess this just goes to show that acceleration isn’t constant throughout the projectile motion with air resistance involved and if so what exactly is the value I got from making a trendline on Excel for the heights and times and finding a position equation and then differentiating twice?
Why don't you show us your work, so we can can compare with what we 'observe' ?

if you are interested, the equations here and the spreadsheeet
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/581/Projectile5.xls give you more control

haruspex said:
... where it does specify light objects. The lighter the object, in relation to its cross section, the sooner it will near terminal velocity, but it is still not immediately on starting descent.

I note that that selection sets the drag coefficient to 0.05. That is much too low. See e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient, where 0.5 is nearer the mark for a sphere. For pumpkin, PhET more reasonably assumes 0.6.
So I tried selecting pumpkin but putting the mass as 1kg, the lowest it would allow, and the diameter as 0.27, so that the mass to area ratio was about the same as for a football. The difference between with and without air resistance was a lot starker.
I talked with one of my TAs and he explained that basically the lab was configured to show that air resistance was still pretty much negligible. This makes more sense than trying to compute the acceleration with drag force factored in as the acceleration is not constant throughout the whole path.

Thank you so much for your for your help!

BvU said:
Why don't you show us your work, so we can can compare with what we 'observe' ?

if you are interested, the equations here and the spreadsheeet
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/581/Projectile5.xls give you more control
I actually saw that spreadsheet but I wasn't sure if it would be a close simulation to PhET and I was pressed for time to submit the lab report. Also, the reason I don't want to share my work is that I have to submit it and it might go through something like Turnitin to check if students are plagiarizing. I just don't want to risk it.
Thank you for your insight! Truly every response I got helped sort of lead me to something conclusive and a final resolve.
Thanks again!

Koin said:
I talked with one of my TAs and he explained that basically the lab was configured to show that air resistance was still pretty much negligible. This makes more sense than trying to compute the acceleration with drag force factored in as the acceleration is not constant throughout the whole path.

Thank you so much for your for your help!
I still say the 0.05 drag coefficient for a football is too low by a factor of 10. The coefficient is determined by the overall shape, a sphere (or ellipsoid?) in this case, and surface texture, such as dimpling.

1. What is air resistance and how does it affect projectile motion experiments?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the friction between the object and the air molecules it comes into contact with. In projectile motion experiments, air resistance can affect the trajectory and speed of the projectile, making it deviate from the expected path.

2. Is air resistance always negligible in projectile motion experiments?

No, air resistance is not always negligible in projectile motion experiments. It depends on the speed and size of the projectile, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. In some cases, air resistance can have a significant impact on the results of the experiment and must be taken into consideration.

3. How can we minimize the effects of air resistance in projectile motion experiments?

To minimize the effects of air resistance in projectile motion experiments, the experiment can be conducted in a vacuum or a low-density environment. Additionally, using smaller and more aerodynamic projectiles can also help reduce the impact of air resistance.

4. What are some examples of projectile motion experiments where air resistance is negligible?

Some examples of projectile motion experiments where air resistance is negligible include dropping a ball from a certain height and measuring its time of flight, or launching a projectile horizontally and measuring its range. In these cases, the effects of air resistance are minimal and can be ignored.

5. How does air resistance affect the accuracy of projectile motion experiments?

Air resistance can significantly affect the accuracy of projectile motion experiments by altering the trajectory and velocity of the projectile. This can lead to discrepancies between the expected and observed results. Therefore, it is important to take into account the effects of air resistance in order to obtain more accurate and reliable data.