Is the 0 matrix upper triangular?

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the question being asked is whether the zero matrix is an upper triangular matrix, as it is being considered as a potential subspace in the set of all upper triangular matrices. The definition of an upper triangular matrix is having all entries below the main diagonal be 0, but this does not exclude the possibility of other 0 entries. Therefore, the answer is yes, the zero matrix is an upper triangular matrix.
pyroknife

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to determine whether something is a subspace.
The problem is determine whether the subset S of M2x2 is a subspace where S is the set of all upper triangular matrices.

So these 3 must be satisfied:
1) 0 vector(matrix) is in S
2) if U and V are in S then U+V is in S
3) if V is in S, then cV where c is a scalar is in S

if 0 matrix is in S then that means
S=
0 0
0 0

But is that still upper triangular?
Upper triangular is defined as having all entries below the main diagnol be 0. I thought a main diagonal was having a nonzero # along the diagonal?

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to determine whether something is a subspace.
The problem is determine whether the subset S of M2x2 is a subspace where S is the set of all upper triangular matrices.

So these 3 must be satisfied:
1) 0 vector(matrix) is in S
2) if U and V are in S then U+V is in S
3) if V is in S, then cV where c is a scalar is in S

if 0 matrix is in S then that means
S=
0 0
0 0

But is that still upper triangular?
Upper triangular is defined as having all entries below the main diagnol be 0. I thought a main diagonal was having a nonzero # along the diagonal?
The main diagonal consists of the entries from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. There's nothing in this definition that requires any particular values.

So, yes, the zero matrix is upper triangular (and lower triangular, too).

Saying that certain number must be 0 doesn't mean that other cannot also be 0.

1. What is an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix is a special type of square matrix in which all the elements below the main diagonal are zero. This means that all the non-zero elements are located on or above the main diagonal.

2. Is the 0 matrix considered upper triangular?

Yes, the 0 matrix, also known as the zero matrix or null matrix, is considered upper triangular because it satisfies the definition of an upper triangular matrix. All the elements below the main diagonal are zero, and there are no non-zero elements on or above the main diagonal.

3. What are the properties of an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix has the following properties:

• All the elements below the main diagonal are zero.
  • All the non-zero elements are located on or above the main diagonal.
  • The main diagonal can contain both zero and non-zero elements.
  • The transpose of an upper triangular matrix is also an upper triangular matrix.
  • The product of two upper triangular matrices is also an upper triangular matrix.

4. How can I determine if a matrix is upper triangular?

To determine if a matrix is upper triangular, you can check if all the elements below the main diagonal are zero. If this condition is satisfied, the matrix is upper triangular. You can also use the transpose and product properties mentioned above to check if a matrix is upper triangular.

5. What is the significance of an upper triangular matrix in linear algebra?

Upper triangular matrices are important in linear algebra because they have many useful properties and can simplify calculations. For example, solving systems of linear equations with upper triangular matrices is much easier compared to general matrices. Upper triangular matrices are also used in diagonalization and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.