Is the Hubble Telescope Smiling at a Gravitational Lens?

In summary: There are probably a few black holes in there too, so digestion might be troublesome:In summary, the Hubble telescope has seen a gravitational lens in space that appears to be smiling down at Mars.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
oosmile.jpg

Story at: http://spaceref.com/astronomy/hubble-sees-a-smiling-gravitational-lens.html

Likes Soundmike, davenn, wabbit and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
You do realize that looks basically the same as your avatar, right, Andy?

Likes Andy Resnick
Now we have the face to go along with the finger of god, only hand, arm and torso left to find.

VERY cool. Thanks for posting.

Cute:smile:

You might tempt me to make an avatar out of this:)

wabbit said:
Cute:smile:

You might tempt me to make an avatar out of this:)

Well, here are 3 you can choose from

1) as is
2) closer in and w/ upper right arc removed
3) same as 2 but w/ distracting background spots removed.
smile1.jpg
smile2.jpg
smile3.jpg

OMG the wabbit avatar is in trouble... Thanks:)

wabbit said:
OMG the wabbit avatar is in trouble... Thanks:)
Actually, I like the wabbit better because my avatar eats wabbits :smile:

[actually, my avatar wouldn't have eaten a live wabbit even if it had bit him on the nose]

Well hello from outer space...:smile:

Now now mr dog are you going to eat this?

Edit: it really is sppoky, I think I'll revert to the wabbit pretty soon or I'll get nightmares...

Last edited:
wabbit said:
Well hello from outer space...:smile:

Now now mr dog are you going to eat this?

Edit: it really is sppoky, I think I'll revert to the wabbit pretty soon or I'll get nightmares...
I sent the pic to several friends and the first response I got the guy said it looked creepy. Guess I'm missing something ... I just see it as incredibly nifty.

Oh, and no, I'm got going to try swallowing something that big, so you're safe as long as you keep it :smile:

phinds said:
Oh, and no, I'm got going to try swallowing something that big:

There are probably a few black holes in there too, so digestion might be troublesome :)

1. What is the "Recent spooky Hubble photo" and why is it getting attention?

The "Recent spooky Hubble photo" is an image taken by the Hubble Space Telescope that shows a galaxy cluster called SDSS J1038+4849. It is getting attention because it appears to have a ghostly face-like structure in the center, which is a result of gravitational lensing.

2. What is gravitational lensing and how does it create the spooky face in the photo?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon where the gravity of a massive object, such as a galaxy cluster, bends the path of light from objects behind it. In this case, the light from a distant galaxy is being bent and distorted by the gravitational pull of SDSS J1038+4849, creating the spooky face-like structure in the photo.

3. Is this spooky face a common occurrence in space or is it rare?

While gravitational lensing is a common occurrence in space, the specific shape of the face in this photo is quite rare. It is a result of the perfect alignment of the distant galaxy, the galaxy cluster, and the Hubble Space Telescope's line of sight.

4. What can scientists learn from this spooky Hubble photo?

This photo can provide valuable insights into the distribution of dark matter in the galaxy cluster and the properties of the distant galaxy that is being lensed. It can also help us better understand the phenomenon of gravitational lensing and its effects on the light from distant objects.

5. Are there any other interesting features or objects in the "Recent spooky Hubble photo"?

Yes, in addition to the spooky face, there are several other interesting features in the photo, such as the arcs of light around the face, which are also a result of gravitational lensing. There are also other galaxies visible in the background, including a blue spiral galaxy on the left side of the image.