Is the TI 89 still useful or not?

In summary, the conversation discusses the recommendation of using a TI 89 calculator for a first year Petroleum Engineering student. The student is unsure if the TI 89 is necessary and is considering the options between a TI 89 and a TI 89 Titanium. They prefer the styling of the TI 89 but are concerned about potential performance differences, specifically the lack of a root ability in the regular TI 89. The conversation also mentions a comparison between graphing calculators and smartphones for testing purposes.
ehcheung
I am a first year Petroleum Engineering student and I currently use a TI 83+. However, the TI 89 comes recommended from my math professor and TA. I have two questions:

1. Should I get one? It is that much more useful? How so? Pros and cons?

2. Should I get a TI 89 or a TI 89 Titanium? I've used 84's and I dislike their bulkiness and their buttons, so I lean towards the TI 89 which uses the same styling as the 83. What about performance differences? I hear that the regular 89 lacks some kind of root ability.

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. Is the TI 89 still relevant in today's scientific community?

Yes, the TI 89 is still widely used in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering. Many professionals and students continue to rely on its advanced features and capabilities for complex calculations and data analysis.

2. How does the TI 89 compare to newer calculators?

The TI 89 remains competitive with newer calculators on the market, as it offers a wide range of functions and features that are essential for scientific research and analysis. It also has a user-friendly interface and is highly customizable, making it a preferred choice for many scientists.

3. What are the main advantages of using the TI 89?

The TI 89 has several advantages, including its ability to handle complex mathematical equations, its large storage capacity for storing data and programs, and its compatibility with various types of software. It also has a long battery life and a durable design, making it a reliable tool for scientific work.

4. Can the TI 89 perform statistical and graphing functions?

Yes, the TI 89 has advanced statistical and graphing capabilities, making it a useful tool for analyzing and visualizing data. It can handle various types of statistical tests and generate accurate graphs and charts for data representation.

5. Is the TI 89 allowed in standardized tests and exams?

It depends on the specific exam or test. Some standardized tests, such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams, allow the use of the TI 89, while others may not. It is essential to check the rules and regulations of the specific exam or test beforehand to ensure that the TI 89 is allowed.