Is Theoretical Physics Wasting Our Best Living Minds On Nonsense? Moved

In summary: This is not a problem. (In summary, this article is about a book by Hossenfelder, which discusses how established people can bias scientific research in their favor, but it's not a problem.)
swampwiz
An interesting essay:

Likes Sumerion and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting analogy between the naturalness problem and the Forbes list, which further supports the idea that the naturalness problem is a pseudoproblem.

Likes Sumerion
Please someone move this to The Lounge and let's see if it sparks some interesting discussion

Moved to GD.

I saw the title and I immediately expected an article written by Hossenfelder. Turns out she didn't write the article, but the article is still about her book. She makes a career out of hating her previous career now. A questionable decision.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier and weirdoguy
I have to admit I don't really understand why some thinks this being something significant. These warnings and rumblings feels redundant for me.
Inspiration can come from anywhere, really. And it's just human nature that if something seems to work then try it again: regardless of how silly it may be (the whole gambling industry can testify for that). Then some people wins the jackpot and the others got forgotten.
Without a clear lead forward physicists are squeezing their personal lucky coins and fishing for the jackpot.
That's how people work. The result (only the result!) will become science at the end.

I don't criticize the choices of people who are much more informed than I.

Established people can be expected to bias things in their own favor. But that doesn't mean its wrong. Or right. Nobody knows.

Last edited:
I used to read Hossenfelder‘a blog. As an engineer I found it interesting, even though I am too ignorant to have an informed opinion.

all I know is that many physics PhDs trained In those fields do not stay in them. I used to work with someone trained as a string theorist. Based on this sample size of 1, it is fantastic training. He was probably the best “mathematical engineer” I have ever known. The number of contributions he made to our R&D group was enormous. He left to make big bucks in finance.

not a waste at all. I’d rather have someone like him working on string theory than designing weapons.

jason

jasonRF said:
all I know is that many physics PhDs trained In those fields do not stay in them.
That's trivial as there are more PhD positions than permanent positions, and some physics topics don't exist outside academia.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is theoretical physics and why is it important?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. It is important because it helps us explain and predict phenomena that cannot be observed directly, such as the behavior of subatomic particles or the origin of the universe.

2. Is theoretical physics a waste of time and resources?

No, theoretical physics is not a waste of time and resources. While it may not always have immediate practical applications, it has led to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in technology. Additionally, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding of the universe is a valuable and important endeavor in its own right.

3. Are there any practical applications of theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many practical applications of theoretical physics. For example, quantum mechanics, a branch of theoretical physics, has led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. Theoretical physics also plays a crucial role in fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and nuclear energy.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics is concerned with developing mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of the universe. Experimental physics, on the other hand, involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test these theories and validate their predictions. Both are important and complementary to each other in advancing our understanding of the physical world.

5. How do theoretical physicists contribute to society?

Theoretical physicists contribute to society in various ways. Their research leads to advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields that improve our daily lives. They also play a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the universe and our place in it, inspiring curiosity and wonder in future generations and pushing the boundaries of human knowledge.