Keyboard and Language dependency in Windows 10

In summary, yes, you can use a different keyboard belonging to another language with Windows 10. However, be aware that Windows will occasionally revert to the default english keyboard setting.
mech-eng
In windows 10 when we are using a language can we use a different keyboard belonging to another language. For example can we use win 10 in English but can we use a French keyboard layout.

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
When you say different keyboard do you mean you want to physically switch to a different keyboard.

french keyboard:
frenchkeyboard.jpg

vs english keyboard:

us_keyboard_layout.jpg

During internationalization testing, a programmer did this in my group. He decided to swap out his english keyboard for a french one and discovered that he couldn't login. The reason was his password had an A in it so he realized he couldn't press the French keyboard A but instead had to type the French keyboard Q which was in the same physical location.

Basically the printed keycaps are there for us to type with. Pressing a key on the keyboard sends a scan code to the computer. The computer uses a scancode to character table which maps the key to the correct character.

Here's a keyboard with scancodes:
scancod1.gif

Likes OCR
mech-eng said:
In windows 10 when we are using a language can we use a different keyboard belonging to another language. For example can we use win 10 in English but can we use a French keyboard layout.
This should do what you want: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10

Yes and no. Windows allows you to set the keyboard type with an icon in the dashboard if you set it to.

However... Windows is stupid. It'll forget. At least three times a day I have to set my keyboard back to dvorak because Windows just decided to switch it to qwerty. There doesn't seem to be any reason to why or when this change happens, it just seems english qwerty has some special characteristics in the windows OS that occasionally causes it to be reverted to, regardless of your current keyboard settings.

stoomart said:

I looked the link and I know that. This is what I have mean to say. In win 10, there is dependency between keyboards and languages. By that setting, one cannot use French keyboard with Engish language but I want to go beyond this dependency i. e I want to use a French keyboard with language is set to English.

Thank you.

Did you read my post on keyboard scan codes?

This is why you can't just plug in the french keyboard because the keycaps are switched around some.

Have you looked in Windows 10 to see if you can specify the keyboard you want to use?

Searching on Google:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...sing+a+french+keyboard+with+english+windows&*

I found this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/258824/how-to-change-your-keyboard-layout

They do mention that you might choose french-canadian keyboard to get what you want.

1. What is keyboard and language dependency in Windows 10?

Keyboard and language dependency in Windows 10 refers to the ability of the operating system to support multiple languages and keyboard layouts. This allows users to switch between different languages and keyboard configurations to meet their specific needs.

2. How can I change the language and keyboard settings in Windows 10?

To change the language and keyboard settings in Windows 10, go to the "Settings" menu and select "Time & Language." From there, you can click on "Language" and choose the language you want to use. To add a new keyboard layout, go to "Region & language" and click on "Add a language." You can then select the language and keyboard layout you want to add.

3. Can I use multiple languages and keyboard layouts at the same time in Windows 10?

Yes, you can use multiple languages and keyboard layouts at the same time in Windows 10. Once you have added the languages and keyboard layouts you want to use, you can switch between them by pressing the Windows key + Spacebar on your keyboard.

4. Does Windows 10 have built-in support for non-English languages?

Yes, Windows 10 has built-in support for a wide range of non-English languages. You can add these languages and their corresponding keyboard layouts through the "Region & language" settings. Additionally, you can download and install language packs for even more languages.

5. Can I customize the keyboard layout in Windows 10?

Yes, you can customize the keyboard layout in Windows 10 to suit your preferences. You can change the layout of individual keys, add special characters, and even create custom keyboard shortcuts. These settings can be found in the "Region & language" settings under the "Keyboards" section.