Lagrangian and Jacobi Integral

In summary, The Lagrangian for the system is: L=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r^{2}}(1+4\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}})+r^{2}\dot{θ^{2}})-\frac{mgr^{2}}{a} where p_{θ} is a constant of the motion. Two constants of the motion are found to be h_{\pm}=\frac{J\pm\sqrt{J^{2}-2gp^{2}/a}}{2mg} and r=\frac{J}{a}.
alliegator

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves on the surface of a paraboloidal bowl with position given by r=rcosθi+rsinθj+[itex]\frac{r^{2}}{a}[/itex]k
with a>0 constant. The particle is subject to a gravitational force F=-mgk but no other external forces.
Show that a suitable Lagrangian for the system is
L=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex](\dot{r^{2}}[/itex][itex]([/itex]1+4[itex]\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}})[/itex][itex][/itex]+r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ^{2}}[/itex])-[itex]\frac{mgr^{2}}{a}[/itex]

Find two constants of the motion

If J[itex]^{2}[/itex]>2gp[itex]^{2}[/itex]/a where J and p are the initial values of the Jacobi function and the momentum conjugate to θ, show that in the subsequent motion the hight of the particle above to xy-plane varies between
h[itex]_{\pm}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{J\pm\sqrt{J^{2}-2gp^{2}/a}}{2mg}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Lagrangian= kinetic energy-potential energy
Kinetic energy=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m||[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]||[itex]^{2}[/itex]
Jacobi=[itex]\sum[/itex]p[itex]_{j}[/itex]u[itex]_{j}[/itex]-L

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Lagrangian and I found p[itex]_{θ}[/itex] to be a constant of the motion. I also found the Jacobi to be a constant of the motion because the Lagrangian has no explicit time dependence. Using the definition of the Jacobi (and also because in this case it is equal to the total energy) I found it to be [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex](\dot{r^{2}}[/itex][itex]([/itex]1+4[itex]\frac{r^{2}}{a^{2}})[/itex][itex][/itex]+r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ^{2}}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{mgr^{2}}{a}[/itex]

I found p[itex]_{θ}[/itex] to be mr[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]

I tried substituting [itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{p_{θ}}{mr^{2}}[/itex] into the expression for the Jacobi and rearranging for [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] and then integrating to find r but I ended up with a complicated function which I couldn't integrate. I also noticed that the solution of h is in the form of the quadratic equation so I don't know if that's anything to do with it. Am I completely on the wrong track or have I done something stupid that complicates everything? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to do an integral. What can you say about [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] at the maximum and minimum heights?

Thank you so much. I can't believe I missed that, I can console myself with the fact that so has everyone else I have spoken to. So I used [itex]\dot{r}[/itex]=0 and ended up with
[itex]\frac{r^{2}}{a}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{J\pm\sqrt{J^{2}-2gp^{2}/a}}{2mg}[/itex]
I'm guessing [itex]\frac{r^{2}}{a}[/itex]=h
Is this because in the original r the [itex]\frac{r^{2}}{a}[/itex] is with k which is the vector in the z direction. Does that even make sense outside my head? Sorry if it doesn't

Yes, I believe that's correct. I didn't pay much attention to the parameterization of the radial vector at first and was confused for a bit too.

Thank you, you have saved me several hours of unnecessary work and frustration :D

1. What is the Lagrangian Integral and what does it represent?

The Lagrangian Integral is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system and is used to determine the path of motion of the system. The integral represents the total energy of the system, which remains constant throughout its motion.

2. What is the significance of the Jacobi Integral in celestial mechanics?

The Jacobi Integral is a quantity used in celestial mechanics to describe the motion of a body in the presence of two or more gravitational fields. It represents the total energy of the body and is conserved throughout the motion. This integral is particularly useful in studying the orbits of celestial bodies such as planets and satellites.

3. How is the Lagrangian Integral related to the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that the path taken by a system between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the integral of the Lagrangian. In other words, the actual path of motion of a system is the one that requires the least amount of energy. This principle is widely used in physics to model the behavior of physical systems.

4. Can the Lagrangian and Jacobi Integral be used interchangeably?

No, the Lagrangian and Jacobi Integral are two distinct concepts and cannot be used interchangeably. While both represent the total energy of a system, they have different applications. The Lagrangian Integral is used to determine the path of motion of a system, while the Jacobi Integral is used in celestial mechanics to study the motion of bodies under the influence of multiple gravitational fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lagrangian and Jacobi Integral?

The Lagrangian and Jacobi Integral have numerous applications in physics and engineering. They are used in celestial mechanics to study the motion of planets, satellites, and other celestial bodies. In classical mechanics, they are used to analyze the motion of particles and systems. They are also used in fields such as robotics, control theory, and fluid mechanics to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.