Lagrangian Mechanics: Solving for x, y, and z Dot

In summary, a bead is confined to moving on a wire in the shape of a porabola, given by y=bx^2. We have L(x, bx^2) which is a function of x. We use the Lagrangian method to find the equations of motion. The equations of motion are L = m/2((xdot) + b(xdot0)^2 - mgbx^2) and L = m/2((xdot^2) + 2b(dot^2) +(b^2)(xdot^4)) - mgbx^2. However, when we try to take the partial derivatives, we get a god awful mess. We
Gogsey
1). A bead is confined to moving on a wire in the shape of a porabola, given by y=bx^2. Write down the Lagrangian, with x as the generalized coordinate, and the equations of motion for this sytem.

We have L(x, bx^2)
For writing out the Lagrangian as a function of x, I get.:

L = m/2((xdot) + b(xdot0)^2 - mgbx^2

Then we get L = m/2((xdot^2) + 2b(xdot^2) +(b^2)(xdot^4)) - mgbx^2

But when I go to take tthe partial derivatives, everythin for the kinetic energy is in terms of xdot, and that leaves nothing for thetadot, so I'm a little confused.

2). Apply the Lagrangian method for a for a particle moving on a sphere using spherical coordinates.

so so x = rsin(theta)cos(phi), y = rsin(theta)sin(phi), z = rcos(theta)

so L = m/2(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) - U(r)

How do you get xdot, ydot, zdot? I know you just take the derivativebut with respect to what? Phi and Theta, since r is constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
the "dot" represents a time derivative; you take the derivative with respect to time and apply the chain rule

Yeah that's what I thought, so I get

xdot = rcos(phi)cos(theta)(thetadot) - rsin(theta)sin(phi)(phidot)

ydot = rsin(phi)cos(theta)(thetadot) + rsin(theta)cos(phi)(phidot)

zdot = -rsin(theta)(thetadot)

Then you have to square then and put them into the Lagrangian expressio, which turns out to be a hug mess? It really gets nasty. Any trig identitites I can before squaring each term?

Actually I think I found them.

Applying the dentities I got:

xdot = r(cos(theta + phi)(thetadot + phidot)

ydot = r(sin(theta + phi)(phidot + thetadot)

And z is the same as before.

Ok, so I'm not sure if those time derivatives are correct or not? Do take the derivative of the x, y and z equations with respsct to r, theta and Phi?

Trouble is, when ypu do this then you get a god awful mess, then you have to square them, and now I'm lost.

Please Help

Look at question no. 3 in the PDF.

Attachments

• HW3L.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 310

Related to Lagrangian Mechanics: Solving for x, y, and z Dot

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical formalism used to describe the motion of objects in a system in classical mechanics. It uses a set of equations known as the Lagrange equations to solve for the position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects in the system.

2. How is Lagrangian Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

In Newtonian Mechanics, the motion of objects is described by Newton's laws of motion and the concept of forces. In Lagrangian Mechanics, the motion is described by the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by an object between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, a mathematical quantity that combines the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

3. What is the role of the Lagrangian in Lagrangian Mechanics?

The Lagrangian is a function that describes the energy of a system in terms of the generalized coordinates and their derivatives. It is used in the Lagrange equations to solve for the motion of objects in the system.

4. How do you solve for x, y, and z Dot in Lagrangian Mechanics?

To solve for x, y, and z Dot in Lagrangian Mechanics, you first need to identify the generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities. Then, you can use the Lagrange equations to set up a system of differential equations, which can be solved to find the values of x, y, and z Dot at any given time.

5. What are some practical applications of Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and robotics. It is particularly useful in systems with complex dynamics, such as celestial mechanics, where it can accurately model the motion of planets and satellites. It is also commonly used in the design and control of mechanical systems, such as pendulum clocks and space robots.