Lagrangian of Pendulum with Oscillating Hinge

In summary, the problem statement is to find the Lagrangian of a pendulum where the height of the hinge is oscillating in the y direction and is is defined as a function ##y_0=f(t)##. Add a function of the form ##\frac{d F(\theta,t)}{dt}## to the original lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}## to obtain a new lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}'=T'-V'## where ##T'## is the "usual kinetic energy of a pendulum" and ##V'## is the potential of a time varying gravitational field. Compare their Hamiltonians.
Xyius
1.) The Problem Statement:

a.) Find the Lagrangian of a pendulum where the height of the hinge is oscillating in the y direction and is is defined as a function ##y_0=f(t)##

b.) Add a function (a gauge transformation) of the form ##\frac{d F(\theta,t)}{dt}## to the original lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}## to obtain a new lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}'=T'-V'## where ##T'## is the "usual kinetic energy of a pendulum" and ##V'## is the potential of a time varying gravitational field. Compare their Hamiltonians

2.) Relevant Equations

Lagranges equations

3.) Attempt at a Solution
Part a I got. The Lagrangian I got is the following. (I can go into more detail about how I got this if required)

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m\left( l^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + \dot{y}^2_0(t) + 2 \dot{y}_0(t)l \dot{\theta} \sin\theta \right) - mg \dot{y}_0(t)+mgl\cos\theta[/tex]

I know this answer is correct because for when ##y_0(t)=a\cos\omega t## it yields the equation of motion that is the same as the result in the text with a function of this form.

Part b is where I am stuck. When I see "potential of a time varying gravitational field," I think something of the form ##m g(t) y##. The only idea I can come up with is to write the function ##\frac{dF}{dt}## in a form that cancels out most of the terms of the original Lagrangian, but only keeps the kinetic term, ##\frac{1}{2}l^2\dot{\theta}^2## and other terms so that I can write the potential in the form I desire. But I cannot seem to make any headway with this, and I am very iffy on if this approach is correct or not. I think I understand the premise of the problem, instead of viewing the pendulum to have an oscillating hinge, instead cast the problem as a normal pendulum in an oscillating gravitational field. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
The only idea I can come up with is to write the function ##\frac{dF}{dt}## in a form that cancels out most of the terms of the original Lagrangian, but only keeps the kinetic term, ##\frac{1}{2}l^2\dot{\theta}^2## and other terms so that I can write the potential in the form I desire.

I think you have the right idea. You just need to play around with constructing the appropriate function F(θ,t). Take it one term at a time. For example, it is easy to construct a term in F such that dF/dt yields a term of the form ##mg\dot{y}_0##.

I made a typo in my original post, the one term at the end of the lagrangian should be ##mg y_0## not ##mg \dot{y_0}##.

I figured it out! I was correct in my reasoning as you pointed out, but the trick was to realize that part of the integral of the third term can be written in the form ##-ml \dot{y_0(t)}\cos\theta.## So you can re-write it in terms of it's integral and cancel out the extra terms by the gauge transformation.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a pendulum with an oscillating hinge?

The Lagrangian of a pendulum with an oscillating hinge is a mathematical function that describes the motion of the pendulum system. It takes into account the mass, length, and velocity of the pendulum as well as the speed and direction of the oscillating hinge.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a pendulum with an oscillating hinge different from a regular pendulum?

The Lagrangian of a regular pendulum only takes into account the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of the pendulum, while the Lagrangian of a pendulum with an oscillating hinge also includes the energy from the oscillating hinge.

3. How is the Lagrangian calculated for a pendulum with an oscillating hinge?

The Lagrangian for a pendulum with an oscillating hinge is calculated using the Lagrangian equation, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system. The equation is L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy.

4. What are the benefits of using the Lagrangian approach for a pendulum with an oscillating hinge?

The Lagrangian approach allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamics of the pendulum system. It also simplifies the equations of motion and makes it easier to analyze the behavior of the system under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian approach for a pendulum with an oscillating hinge?

The Lagrangian approach assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium and does not take into account external forces such as air resistance. It also requires advanced mathematical knowledge to fully utilize and interpret the equations.