Learning number theory for cryptography

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a strong foundation in algebra and discrete mathematics in order to understand number theory as applied to cryptography. Several resources, such as books with a focus on text or formulas, are recommended for learning these subjects. It is also mentioned that knowledge of commutative and linear algebra may be necessary. Additionally, the conversation suggests exploring various fields and sources to gain a comprehensive understanding of cryptography. It is also noted that a background in real and complex analysis and basic number theory may be necessary for a deeper understanding of number theory in the context of modern cryptography.
typer91
Hi everyone, I am trying to learn the underlying number theory concepts behind cryptography, and I was wondering if anyone knows of good resources for learning about number theory as applied to cryptography. I was hoping to practice writing proofs as well. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically you will need a good foundation on algebra and discrete mathematics. The former can be found in many good books and depends a bit on how you learn - more explanations via text or more structured via formulas - and how deep you want to go.
Algebra with emphasis on text:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387406247/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Algebra with emphasis on formulas:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387220259/?tag=pfamazon01-20
However, it could well be that you also need some knowledge of commutative and linear algebra. I find van der Waerden a good book to get the basics and understand what it's all about.

But if you don't want to get too deep into mathematics, you would probably like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012TXEOT8/?tag=pfamazon01-20
which has several examples of applications together with the theorems behind them. Crypotgraphy should be one of them. (I have a different version, so I can't tell for sure. But Springer usually offers the possibility to read the content and a couple of sample pages.)

The point is that cryptographers plunder everywhere in mathematics, so there is no single field to point to. Furthermore there is the technical side of it: who knows what when with which likelihood. So without any specifications from your side, e.g. whether you are more interested in the mathematical part or the information science part, all what can be said is: learn everything about finite groups (van der Waerden) and have a look around (Lidl, Pilz) to sort your interests. Otherwise the answer to your question will be an undergraduate study of information science or likewise mathematics.

All books I mentioned are from Springer. So in any case you should visit Springer's website, try to find them and have a look inside the books.

If you want to learn actual number theory, e.g. to understand modern primary tests (as in the context of the RSA scheme), then your way is a bit longer and includes at least real and complex analysis and basic number theory.

What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It involves studying the patterns and structures of numbers, as well as their properties and operations.

What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice of creating and analyzing techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves using mathematical algorithms and principles, such as number theory, to encrypt and decrypt messages.

Why is number theory important for cryptography?

Number theory is important for cryptography because it provides the foundation for many of the mathematical algorithms and concepts used in cryptographic systems. It allows for the creation of secure encryption methods and helps in analyzing the strength and effectiveness of different cryptographic techniques.

What are some key concepts in number theory relevant to cryptography?

Some key concepts in number theory relevant to cryptography include prime numbers, modular arithmetic, the Euclidean algorithm, and the Chinese remainder theorem. These concepts are used in the creation and analysis of various cryptographic algorithms.

How can learning number theory improve my understanding of cryptography?

Learning number theory can improve your understanding of cryptography by providing a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles and algorithms used in cryptographic systems. It can also help in identifying weaknesses and vulnerabilities in cryptographic methods and in creating more secure and efficient algorithms.