Leibniz Formula/Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the Leibniz formula and the first or second fundamental theorem of calculus. The student is struggling with integrating a function and has attempted to use trig identities but is unsure if their answer is correct. They also mention their teacher explaining the solution in class and provide a helpful resource for solving the problem.
drmatth

Homework Statement

The problem is attached as a picture.

Homework Equations

I believe the theories relevant to the equation are the Leibniz formula and the first or second fundamental theorem of calculus, I have two books and one lists the first theorem as the second and vice-versa. The theorem containing the derivative of the integral is the one I am looking at. The chain rule is also involved as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck, my teacher explained how to do it today in class. I tried to integrate the function by reducing the power of sin(t^2) to (1/2)(1-cos2t) then differentiating that. I have no idea if that gives me correct answer as my teacher explained it an entirely different way using chain rule and fundamental theorem of calculus. When I check my answer and the answer I get from WolframAlpha by plugging in 1 after everything. They are very close but they are not the same, both answers were done in exact form, so no rounding issues.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    901 bytes · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah you are correct, thank you for pointing that out. I came across that site and others like it but the notation was a bit confusing for me. As I was typing this response I came across the explanation he was giving me today.

http://www2.bc.cc.ca.us/resperic/Math6A/Lectures/ch5/3/FundamentalTheorem.htm

Towards the bottom of the page under the Leibniz Integral Rule. I think if I study this a bit I may be able to come up with the correct answer.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the Leibniz formula/fundamental theorem of calculus?

The Leibniz formula, also known as the fundamental theorem of calculus, is a fundamental concept in calculus that establishes the relationship between the derivative and the integral of a function. It states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function.

2. Who is the mathematician behind the Leibniz formula?

The Leibniz formula was first presented by German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the late 17th century. Leibniz is also known for his contributions to the development of calculus, along with Sir Isaac Newton.

3. How is the Leibniz formula used in calculus?

The Leibniz formula is used in calculus to evaluate the definite integral of a function. It allows for the calculation of the area under a curve, which has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Leibniz formula?

The first part of the Leibniz formula, also known as the first fundamental theorem of calculus, states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function. The second part, or the second fundamental theorem of calculus, states that the integral of a function can be calculated by using the antiderivative of the function.

5. Are there any limitations to the Leibniz formula?

While the Leibniz formula is a powerful tool in calculus, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to find the area under a curve for continuous functions. It also cannot be used for functions that are not differentiable, such as ones with sharp corners or discontinuities.