Light intensity through a slit

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of distance between two parallel slits to the wavelength of light, and the smallest positive angle at which the intensity of light is 1/10 of the maximum intensity on the screen. The equations used are I = Iocos2(ø/2) and ø = 2∏dsinθ/λ, with Θ given in radians. The solution for ø is 2.498, and for Θ it is approximately 0.192, but the speaker is unsure if this is correct.
ghostops

Homework Statement

After a laser beam passes through two thin parallel slits, the first completely dark fringes occur at ±14.0∘ with the original direction of the beam, as viewed on a screen far from the slits.

A)What is the ratio of the distance between the slits to the wavelength of the light illuminating the slits?
d/lambda = 2.07

B)What is the smallest positive angle, relative to the original direction of the laser beam, at which the intensity of the light is 110 the maximum intensity on the screen?

Θ=

Homework Equations

I = Iocos2(ø/2)

ø = 2∏dsinθ/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

so for this I solved for phi and then substituted that into the second equation and for this sinθ is ≈θ I just solved for theta in the 2nd equation

for ø= 2cos-1(√(1/10))
ø=2.498

then ø/(2∏(d/λ)) = Θ

for Θ I got .192 but I can't figure out what I did wrong

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting the same as you.
Are you expected to give your answer in degrees or radiens?

radians is what we were told to do for all of these problems

What leads you to believe that you've done anything wrong then?

for any help

I would like to clarify that the question is incomplete as it does not mention the value of the distance between the slits (d) or the wavelength of the light (λ). Without these values, it is not possible to accurately solve for the smallest positive angle at which the intensity of light is 110% of the maximum intensity on the screen.

However, assuming that the value of d/λ is 2.07 as given in part A, we can calculate the value of θ as follows:

ø = 2cos^-1(√(1/10)) = 2.498 radians

Substituting this value into the equation ø = 2πdsinθ/λ, we get:

2.498 = 2π(2.07)sinθ/λ

Solving for θ, we get:

θ = sin^-1(2.498λ/4.14d)

Without knowing the values of d and λ, we cannot accurately solve for θ. Therefore, it is not possible to provide a specific answer to part B of the question.

Related to Light intensity through a slit

1. What is light intensity through a slit?

Light intensity through a slit refers to the amount of light that passes through a narrow opening, such as a slit, in a barrier or object.

2. How is light intensity through a slit measured?

Light intensity through a slit is measured using a device called a photometer, which measures the amount of light passing through the slit and converts it into a numerical value.

3. What factors affect light intensity through a slit?

The factors that affect light intensity through a slit include the size of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance from the light source to the slit. Other factors such as the material of the barrier and any obstructions in the path of the light can also affect the intensity.

4. How does the width of the slit affect light intensity?

The width of the slit has a direct effect on light intensity through the slit. As the slit becomes narrower, the amount of light passing through decreases. This is due to the diffraction of light, where the waves spread out and interfere with each other, resulting in a decrease in the overall intensity.

5. What applications does the study of light intensity through a slit have?

The study of light intensity through a slit has various applications in fields such as optics, physics, and engineering. It is used in experiments to study the properties of light and can also be applied in practical scenarios, such as in the design of optical instruments like cameras and telescopes.