Linear Algebra: Determine whether S spans R^4

You will need to be clever about what you choose to be x.In summary, by using the theorem that a square matrix with rows that are linearly dependent has a determinant of 0, the set S is proven to be linearly dependent. This means that one of its members can be written as a linear combination of the other three, implying that its span is equal to the span of the three remaining vectors. To prove that a set with three members cannot span R^4, it is shown that any arbitrary vector x in R^4 can be chosen to contradict the determinant of the matrix formed by the four vectors, proving that the set is not a spanning set for R^4.
LoA

Homework Statement

Let S be a subset of [itex]R^{4}[/itex]:
S = {[itex]v_{1}[/itex],[itex]v_{2}[/itex], [itex]v_{3}[/itex], [itex]v_{4}[/itex]} = { [1,3,2,0] [-2,0,6,7] [0,6,10,7] [2,10,-3,1] }

Determine whether S spans [itex]R^{4}[/itex].

Homework Equations

span(S) = {V| V = a[itex]v_{1}[/itex]+b[itex]v_{2}[/itex]+c[itex]v_{3}[/itex]+d[itex]v_{4}[/itex]}

The Attempt at a Solution

When I row reduce the matrix A, whose rows are the vectors in S, I get a matrix whose rank = 3. So I conclude that S does NOT span [itex]R^{4}[/itex]. Is this correct? If so, why? Let me explore a little further.

Let B = rref(A) =

1 0 0 [itex]\frac{-221}{82}[/itex]
0 1 0 [itex]\frac{59}{82}[/itex]
0 0 1 [itex]\frac{11}{49}[/itex]
0 0 0 0

So rank(B) = 3 and span(S) = a[1,0,0[itex]\frac{-221}{82}[/itex]] + b[0,1,0,[itex]\frac{59}{82}[/itex]] +c[0,0,1,[itex]\frac{11}{49}[/itex]] + d[0,0,0,0] for a,b,c,d [itex]\in R[/itex]

i.e. span(S) = [a,b,c,D] ; D = [itex]a\frac{-221}{82}[/itex]+[itex]b\frac{59}{82}[/itex] +[itex]c\frac{11}{49}[/itex] for a,b,c,d [itex]\in R[/itex]

So why would it be the case that you cannot form every vector in [itex]R^{4}[/itex] as a linear combination of vectors in S? Is it because your choice of a,b,c determines D, so that you cannot have that same D for other, arbitrary choices of a,b,c (or different values of D for the same values of a,b,c)? How can I make this sharper? How should I think about this in terms of the rank of the matrix of vectors in S?

Physics news on Phys.org
LoA said:

Homework Statement

Let S be a subset of [itex]R^{4}[/itex]:
S = {[itex]v_{1}[/itex],[itex]v_{2}[/itex], [itex]v_{3}[/itex], [itex]v_{4}[/itex]} = { [1,3,2,0] [-2,0,6,7] [0,6,10,7] [2,10,-3,1] }

Determine whether S spans [itex]R^{4}[/itex].

Homework Equations

span(S) = {V| V = a[itex]v_{1}[/itex]+b[itex]v_{2}[/itex]+c[itex]v_{3}[/itex]+d[itex]v_{4}[/itex]}

The Attempt at a Solution

When I row reduce the matrix A, whose rows are the vectors in S, I get a matrix whose rank = 3. So I conclude that S does NOT span [itex]R^{4}[/itex]. Is this correct? If so, why? Let me explore a little further.

Let B = rref(A) =

1 0 0 [itex]\frac{-221}{82}[/itex]
0 1 0 [itex]\frac{59}{82}[/itex]
0 0 1 [itex]\frac{11}{49}[/itex]
0 0 0 0

So rank(B) = 3 and span(S) = a[1,0,0[itex]\frac{-221}{82}[/itex]] + b[0,1,0,[itex]\frac{59}{82}[/itex]] +c[0,0,1,[itex]\frac{11}{49}[/itex]] + d[0,0,0,0] for a,b,c,d [itex]\in R[/itex]

i.e. span(S) = [a,b,c,D] ; D = [itex]a\frac{-221}{82}[/itex]+[itex]b\frac{59}{82}[/itex] +[itex]c\frac{11}{49}[/itex] for a,b,c,d [itex]\in R[/itex]

So why would it be the case that you cannot form every vector in [itex]R^{4}[/itex] as a linear combination of vectors in S? Is it because your choice of a,b,c determines D, so that you cannot have that same D for other, arbitrary choices of a,b,c (or different values of D for the same values of a,b,c)? How can I make this sharper? How should I think about this in terms of the rank of the matrix of vectors in S?
What you have found is that S is linearly dependent, and this is probably all you need to do to get full credit for the problem. The easiest way to do this was probably to use the theorem that says that a square matrix has determinant 0 if and only if its rows are linearly dependent. So if you form the matrix that has the components of those vectors as its rows, and prove that its determinant is 0, you will have proved that S is linearly dependent.

Since S is linearly dependent, one of its members is a linear combination of the other three. This implies that span S is equal to the span of the set whose members are those three vectors. So what you're asking is why a set with three members can't span ##\mathbb R^4##. I don't see a super elegant way to prove this right now, but here's one way to prove it: Suppose that E={u,v,w} is a linearly independent set that spans ##\mathbb R^4##. Let ##x\in\mathbb R^4## be arbitrary. Since E spans ##\mathbb R^4##, {u,v,w,x} is linearly dependent. So the determinant of the matrix whose rows are the components of these four vectors is zero. Now you make a choice of x that contradicts that the value of the determinant is zero.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

2. What does it mean for a set of vectors to span a vector space?

A set of vectors spans a vector space if every vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. In other words, the set of vectors spans the entire vector space.

3. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans a specific vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors spans a specific vector space, we can use the spanning set test. This involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients of the linear combination. If every vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors, then the set spans the vector space.

4. What is R^4?

R^4 is a notation used to represent the vector space of all possible 4-dimensional vectors. It is a 4-dimensional vector space with real numbers as its scalars.

5. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans R^4?

To determine if a set of vectors spans R^4, we can use the spanning set test and set up a system of equations with 4 unknowns. If the system has a unique solution, then the set of vectors spans R^4. If the system has no solution or infinitely many solutions, then the set does not span R^4.