Linear Dynamic Seal (water-tight)

In summary, the conversation was about conceptualizing a design for a hydro generator that operates by moving an airfoil up and down along a straight path. The main concern was how to seal the guide rod, pulley, and belt while still allowing the airfoil to be exposed to water flow. One idea was to use a bellows/accordion type system, but there were concerns about it acting as a spring and restricting the motion too much. Another idea was to use a linear seal, but it was unclear if it would provide a water tight seal. The suggestion of using two pistons and o-rings was brought up, but there were concerns about the longevity of the o-rings. The conversation ended with the mention of a similar
Satchmo
I'm trying to conceptualize a design for a hydro generator that basically operates by moving an airfoil up an down along a straight path. Most of it is all worked out, except for the issue of water sealing. If you can make sense of my not-so-great drawings, the airfoil is attached to the "block", which has a linear bearing that allows it to move up and down along the guide rod. The "block" is also attached to a belt that will drive pulleys (and then gears and eventually to a generator, not drawn.)

The issue is allowing the airfoil to be exposed to the water flow while sealing the guide rod, pulley, belt, etc. One idea I had was to use a bellows/accordion type system (shown in the bottom half of 'sketch.pdf'.) The main concern with this idea is that the two bellows might act as springs and restrict the motion of the airfoil too much.

Another idea (that I have less faith in) is to use some type of linear seal (I'm picturing something like the weather sealing used around door frames, but something a little more suitable.) This idea is shown in 'linear seal.pdf'. I think for this to have any chance of working, the part that moves through the seal needs to be long and sharp to minimize any water leaking through. I have a feeling that even if this is possible to make work, the friction due to the seal would be very large.

This is where I'm at now. I would think that something like this HAS to have been done in the past, but I haven't been able to think of any applications. (Anyone with a lot of familiarity with either industrial underwater processes or satellites know of anything similar?)

Let me know if anything here is unclear!

Attachments

• sketch.pdf
    323.8 KB · Views: 271
  • linear seal.pdf
    254.8 KB · Views: 313
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just like what the folks at University of Michigan are doing.

Why not simply use two pistons and then use simple o-rings? I know that would complicate the mechanics for you, but it would most like likely make this more robust simce something like this would have to live under water for very long periods of time.

If you use a bellows, which I think is the way to go, you would have to make the length of the bellows much larger than the stroke in an effort to minimize the spring effect. I don't see how your "linear seal" would give you a water tight seal.

FredGarvin said:
Just like what the folks at University of Michigan are doing.

Why not simply use two pistons and then use simple o-rings? I know that would complicate the mechanics for you, but it would most like likely make this more robust simce something like this would have to live under water for very long periods of time.

If you use a bellows, which I think is the way to go, you would have to make the length of the bellows much larger than the stroke in an effort to minimize the spring effect. I don't see how your "linear seal" would give you a water tight seal.

I promise we've been working on this since before seeing theirs, but the idea isn't anything too new :).

Regarding the "linear seal", I didn't think that would work either, but I thought I'd include it anyways so that it could maybe help spark an idea in somebody else.

I'm a little weary of using pistons and o-rings, and I would think that the robustness gained in the shafts would be lost due to the life of the o-rings (though I'm saying this with no working knowledge, whatsoever, of o-rings.) Were you thinking of a specific underwater application where that design is used?

What is a Linear Dynamic Seal?

A Linear Dynamic Seal is a type of seal used to prevent leakage of fluids or gases from one area to another. It is designed to maintain a water-tight seal under dynamic conditions, such as movement or pressure changes.

How does a Linear Dynamic Seal work?

A Linear Dynamic Seal typically consists of a flexible sealing element, such as an O-ring or gasket, that is compressed between two mating surfaces. The compression creates a tight seal, preventing any leakage between the two surfaces. The seal can also accommodate small movements or pressure changes without compromising its effectiveness.

What are the common applications of Linear Dynamic Seals?

Linear Dynamic Seals are commonly used in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, hydraulic systems, and marine applications. They are often used in pumps, valves, and other mechanical components where a water-tight seal is necessary.

What materials are used to make Linear Dynamic Seals?

Linear Dynamic Seals can be made from various materials, depending on the specific application. Some common materials include rubber, silicone, PTFE, and polyurethane. The material chosen for a seal will depend on factors such as the type of fluid or gas being sealed, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the level of flexibility and durability required.

How do you ensure the effectiveness of a Linear Dynamic Seal?

To ensure the effectiveness of a Linear Dynamic Seal, it is important to select the right material and design for the specific application. Regular maintenance and inspection are also crucial to identify any wear or damage to the seal and replace it if necessary. Additionally, proper installation and proper mating surface preparation are essential for a tight and long-lasting seal.