Linearising a Cosine Curve: Exploring the Range of g-forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics EEI and the formula for calculating g-forces. The individual is seeking help in linearising the graph and determining whether the independent variable is just the angle or the cosine of the angle. The conversation also mentions a relevant homework equation and an attempt at a solution, which concludes that the square root of a negative is undefined for all values of cosθ. However, it is suggested to multiply by -337.12 and add 391.88 to determine the range of (391.88-337.12 cosθ).
Maluras

Homework Statement

For my physics EEI, I have developed the formula: g-forces=√(391.88-337.12 cosθ)/9.8

I need to linearise the graph into the form y=mx+c.

I'm not sure where just the angle is the independent or cos of the angle.

Homework Equations

y=k√(x) can be graphed as y vs. √(x) to linearise

The Attempt at a Solution

The square root of a negative is undefined, therefore √(cosθ) is unable to be done for all values

Physics news on Phys.org
Maluras said:

Homework Statement

For my physics EEI, I have developed the formula: g-forces=√(391.88-337.12 cosθ)/9.8

I need to linearise the graph into the form y=mx+c.

I'm not sure where just the angle is the independent or cos of the angle.

Homework Equations

y=k√(x) can be graphed as y vs. √(x) to linearise

The Attempt at a Solution

The square root of a negative is undefined, therefore √(cosθ) is unable to be done for all values
Hello Maluras. Welcome to PF !

Is (391.88-337.12 cosθ ) ever negative?

-1 ≤ cos(θ) ≤ 1

Multiply by -337.12 then add 391.88 .

What's your conclusion regarding the range of (391.88-337.12 cosθ ) ?

Related to Linearising a Cosine Curve: Exploring the Range of g-forces

1. What is the purpose of linearising a cosine curve?

Linearising a cosine curve is a mathematical technique used to transform a non-linear function into a linear function. This allows for easier analysis and interpretation of the data.

2. How is a cosine curve linearised?

A cosine curve can be linearised by taking the inverse cosine of the values on the curve. This will result in a linear relationship between the inverse cosine values and the original values on the curve.

3. What are the benefits of linearising a cosine curve?

Linearising a cosine curve can help to simplify complex data and make it easier to interpret. It also allows for the use of linear regression analysis to identify trends and make predictions.

4. Can any type of cosine curve be linearised?

Yes, any type of cosine curve can be linearised as long as it follows the general shape of a cosine curve. However, the accuracy of the linearisation may vary depending on the complexity of the curve.

5. Are there any limitations to linearising a cosine curve?

One limitation of linearising a cosine curve is that it may not accurately represent the original data. Additionally, linearising a curve can be a time-consuming process and may not be necessary for every data set.