Logic Gates (OR and AND) Wave Form Diagrams

In summary, To create a wave diagram for an AND logic gate, you need to look at each interval and draw 'high' only when both A and B are high. For an OR logic gate, draw 'high' only when either A or B is high.
Petenerd
If you take a look at the attachment that I have posted, you will see 4 wave diagrams labeled A, B, C, D, respectively. My objective to is to answer the questions after the A-D diagrams.

The first one is a AND logic gate with A and B. So how would I combine A and B. Do I draw only the highs of both and just copy the length of their intersection or what? Please be descriptive.

How would I draw the wave diagrams for OR? Is it when either of A or B has high point I draw it on my graph?

Attachments

• Logic Gate Wave Diagrams.jpg
    Logic Gate Wave Diagrams.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Petenerd said:
If you take a look at the attachment that I have posted, you will see 4 wave diagrams labeled A, B, C, D, respectively. My objective to is to answer the questions after the A-D diagrams.

The first one is a AND logic gate with A and B. So how would I combine A and B. Do I draw only the highs of both and just copy the length of their intersection or what? Please be descriptive.

How would I draw the wave diagrams for OR? Is it when either of A or B has high point I draw it on my graph?

For the first one, look at each interval, when both are high, you draw 'high' for that interval, otherwise draw 'low'.

For OR, same thing, but draw 'high' only when either one of them is high, so if they are both low then draw low for the corresponding intervals.

1. What is a logic gate?

A logic gate is a fundamental building block of digital circuits that takes one or more binary inputs and produces a single binary output based on a specific logical operation.

2. What is the difference between OR and AND logic gates?

The main difference between OR and AND logic gates is the logical operation they perform on the inputs. An OR gate produces an output of 1 if any of its inputs are 1, while an AND gate produces an output of 1 only if all of its inputs are 1.

3. How do OR and AND gates work?

OR and AND gates work by using transistors to control the flow of electricity through the circuit. In an OR gate, if any input is 1, the transistor will allow current to flow and produce an output of 1. In an AND gate, all inputs must be 1 for current to flow and produce an output of 1.

4. What is a wave form diagram for a logic gate?

A wave form diagram for a logic gate is a visual representation of the input and output signals of the gate over time. It shows the changes in voltage levels for each input and output, displaying how the gate processes the signals.

5. How are logic gates used in digital circuits?

Logic gates are the basic building blocks of digital circuits and are used to perform logical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and comparison. They are combined in various ways to create more complex circuits, allowing computers and other digital devices to process and manipulate information.