Looking for Books on Astronomy and Astrophysics

In summary: This book is great as it's perfect for someone who wants to learn the basics of astronomy without having to spend a lot of time reading maths equations.In summary, there are many good textbooks for astronomy and astrophysics. Some are for self-study, while others are for use in university courses. Most textbooks are aimed at those without a background in physics or calculus.
Mathscienceknowledge
What are some good textbooks for astronomy and astrophysics? I know of fundamental astronomy and the principles of astrophysics. I would prefer it if it were good for self-study. Also, are there any books that are free?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your level of mathematics and physics?

Amrator said:
What is your level of mathematics and physics?
My experience in mathematics is calculus and I am currently self-studying multivariable calculus. I also have some experience in differential equations.

Mathscienceknowledge said:
My experience in mathematics is calculus and I am currently self-studying multivariable calculus. I also have some experience in differential equations.

So the standard astrophysics textbook at the upper-undergraduate level is An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1108422160/?tag=pfamazon01-20

At a slightly lower level, I recommend Essential Astrophysics by Kenneth Lang. It still uses some calculus, but it's not quite as comprehensive as Carroll.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642359620/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another textbook I've heard good things about is Astrophysics for Physicists by Choudhuri. From what I understand, however, is it requires a good understanding of undergraduate physics. Perhaps use this one as a follow up to Carroll.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521815533/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Eventually, you will have to study some higher-level physics as well; astrophysics is, after all, a branch of physics. Classical mechanics, thermal/statistical physics, special relativity, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics are all heavily used in astrophysics and astronomy. If you want to self-study the subject at the graduate level, then you're also going to have to learn general relativity and nuclear/particle physics.

Edit: While the book that vanhees71 linked is good, you might find it to be too easy, especially if you're already familiar with basic astronomy. It is aimed at students who don't have much of a background in physics or calculus.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Yes, that book is something between a popular-science book and a undergrad introdutory textbook. If you want something for the advanced undergrad or even graduate level it's too simple.

In fact astrophysics nowadays spans indeed all of physics, including high-energy particle and nuclear physics (many-body quantum field theory) and general relativity.

vanhees71 said:
Yes, that book is something between a popular-science book and a undergrad introdutory textbook. If you want something for the advanced undergrad or even graduate level it's too simple.

Most universities in North America offer astronomy courses for non-science majors. In fact, I have used this text when teaching just such a course.

Likes berkeman
I love it. I have the German translation, and it's just nice to read it and the illustrations/pictures are also just lovely :-)).

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics is the branch of physics that deals with the physical properties and processes of these objects. Essentially, astronomy focuses on observation and description, while astrophysics involves understanding the underlying physical principles.

2. Where can I find books on astronomy and astrophysics?

There are many places to find books on astronomy and astrophysics, including libraries, bookstores, and online retailers. You can also find a wide selection of books on these topics at scientific conferences and events.

3. What are some recommended books for beginners in astronomy and astrophysics?

Some popular books for beginners in astronomy and astrophysics include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books provide an accessible introduction to the concepts and theories in these fields.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about astronomy and astrophysics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about astronomy and astrophysics. Some reputable websites include NASA's official website, the European Space Agency's website, and the website of the American Astronomical Society. You can also find educational videos and lectures on platforms like YouTube and Coursera.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in astronomy and astrophysics?

To stay updated on the latest developments in astronomy and astrophysics, you can subscribe to scientific journals and magazines, follow reputable scientists and organizations on social media, and attend conferences and lectures. You can also join online communities and forums to discuss and learn about the latest discoveries and advancements in these fields.