Magnetic field created by a wire

In summary, the magnetic field created by a semi-infinite wire at point P is μ0I/4πx, half of the field created by an infinitely long wire due to end effects. This can also be derived using Biot-Savart's law.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-12_19-35-56.png

x represents the distance between the wire and P.
The wire has infinite length.
What is the magnetic field created by the wire at P?

Homework Equations

B=μ0I/2πr

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the the first part of the wire creates a field equals to μ0I/2πx (directed inwards the paper/screen), and that the second part doesn't affect the magnetic field at P. However the answer is μ0I/4πx, where is my mistake? I know it's a simple problem but we have just started studying this, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-12_19-35-56.png
    upload_2018-1-12_19-35-56.png
    643 bytes · Views: 717
Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
I thought the the first part of the wire creates a field equals to μ0I/2πx (directed inwards the paper/screen),
That's the field from an infinitely long current-carrying wire. (Meaning: No end in sight.) What you need is the field from a semi-infinite wire. (There are end effects.)

Doc Al said:
That's the field from an infinitely long current-carrying wire. (Meaning: No end in sight.) What you need is the field from a semi-infinite wire. (There are end effects.)
So basically because it's a semi infinite wire I need to divide the field it creates by two?

Eitan Levy said:
So basically because it's a semi infinite wire I need to divide the field it creates by two?
Exactly. (You can appeal to symmetry. An infinitely long wire can be thought of as two semi infinite wires joined together. So each piece contributes half.)

You can find it by mathematics too, hope it can help you :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_20180113_022959.jpg
    IMG_20180113_022959.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 413
I would go with Biot-Savart. I guess that's what post 5 tries to do.

Related to Magnetic field created by a wire

1. What is a magnetic field created by a wire?

A magnetic field created by a wire is a region in space where a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles. It is produced when an electric current flows through a wire, creating a circular magnetic field around the wire.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a wire measured?

A magnetic field created by a wire can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field and displays it as a numerical value.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field created by a wire?

The strength of a magnetic field created by a wire is affected by the amount of current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material the wire is made of. The strength also decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field created by a wire?

The direction of the magnetic field created by a wire is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. This means that if the current is flowing from north to south, the magnetic field will be circling around the wire in a clockwise direction.

5. What are some practical applications of a magnetic field created by a wire?

A magnetic field created by a wire has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field and in particle accelerators in physics research.