Magnetic forces required to repel, one permanente and one electromagnet

In summary: You cannot summarize without inputIn summary, the speaker is asking for help with calculating the necessary power and size of two magnets, a permanent magnet and an electromagnet, that are aligned to repel each other. They are also seeking help in understanding the formula for magnetic force with respect to distance. The speaker's team works for Network Rail and this is their first time seeking help on this platform.
paulmax123
Hi guys, this is my first time here.
I'm currently working on a new design, our team works for Network Rail and we really need your help.

Ok here's the problem:
I have a magnet, permanent magnet which is able to move only up and down, not laterally. I have another magnet, this time its an electromagnet. Both the magnets have been aligned so that when the electromagnet is switched on, they repel. Now the question is, if my magnets are repelling over 7mm and if a force of 0.4N is acting on the permanent magnet over the 7mm distance, how powerful do my magnets have to be? Sounds a bit vague, but if my permanent magnet is a neodynium one at 12000br, how large does my electromagnet have to be

Oh another thing, if I know that the force acting on the magnets at the distance of 7mm is 0.4N, what is the force acting on the magnets at 0 distance? The formula to express force and magnetic force with respect to distance has been a puzzling one for our entire team, please we need your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @Charles Link

Charles, We get so many questions similar to this one it makes we think that we should have an Insights on calculating magnetic forces.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a magnetic force?

A magnetic force is a force that is exerted between two magnets or between a magnet and a magnetic material. It is caused by the interaction of the magnetic fields of the objects.

2. How do magnetic forces work?

Magnetic forces are caused by the alignment of the magnetic fields of two objects. Objects with opposite magnetic poles (north and south) will attract each other, while objects with the same magnetic poles will repel each other.

3. What are permanent and electromagnets?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces its own magnetic field due to its intrinsic magnetic properties. An electromagnet is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

4. How do permanent and electromagnets interact?

Permanent and electromagnets can interact through magnetic forces. Depending on their alignment, they can either attract or repel each other.

5. How much magnetic force is required to repel a permanent and an electromagnet?

The amount of magnetic force required to repel a permanent and an electromagnet depends on the strength of their respective magnetic fields. The stronger the fields, the greater the repulsive force between them.