Making a poster with 5mm 2 pin LED lights.

In summary, the individual is looking to create a poster with LED lights sticking out of it and is considering using a set of LEDs with 3 different colors. They are unsure if this is possible and if a simple button battery can power them for a reasonable amount of time. They also question if they should use a different voltage battery for each color and how to approach the project. They have found that the LEDs require 20mA each and they will need a battery with 300mAh to power them for about an hour. They may also need to use multiple button batteries in a row and add a resistor to limit current flow.
yvesers
Hey, I want to make a get better poster with led light sticking out of the poster. I found the following LEDs: http://www.play-zone.ch/de/bauteile/led/led-sortiment-mit-180-leds-oem.html . I have very little experience with wiring circuits (did AP physics a while back) and I'm not sure if this is even viable? I want to have around 10-20 LEDS consisting of 3 different colors powered by a battery(s). Can a simple button battery power a couple of LEDs for a reasonable amount of time? Should I buy a different voltage battery for each of the 3 colors? If this is even possible how should I go about this project?

Thanks so much in advance for helping a noob out :)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
They need ~20mA each ("Verbrauch" row), with less they will lose a bit of their brightness. 10-20 of them need ~300mA at ~3V, giving a power of ~1W.
If you have a battery with 300mAh, for example, you can power the LEDs for approximately 300mAh/(300mA)=1hour. The button cells don't have the required voltage, so you probably need 2-3 of them in a row. This does not change the calculated lifetime. In addition, don't forget to add a resistor to limit current flow, otherwise you could ruin your LEDs or the battery (or both).

1. How do I choose the right LED lights for my poster?

When selecting LED lights for your poster, consider the size of your poster and the brightness of the lights. 5mm 2 pin LED lights are a popular choice for posters as they are small, energy-efficient, and produce bright light.

2. How many LED lights do I need for my poster?

The number of LED lights you need will depend on the size of your poster. As a general rule, you can use 1 LED light per square inch of your poster. For example, if your poster is 18x24 inches, you will need approximately 432 LED lights.

3. How do I attach the LED lights to my poster?

There are several ways to attach LED lights to your poster. You can use adhesive tape, glue dots, or small clips to secure the lights in place. It is important to make sure the lights are evenly spaced and securely attached to avoid any falling off.

4. How do I power my LED lights for the poster?

LED lights for posters can be powered using a battery pack or a power adapter. If you are using a battery pack, make sure to choose one with enough power to run all the lights. If you are using a power adapter, make sure it is compatible with the LED lights you have chosen.

5. Can I customize the color of the LED lights for my poster?

Yes, you can choose from a variety of colors for your LED lights, including red, blue, green, yellow, and white. Some LED lights also come with the option to change colors or have different lighting effects, giving you more customization options for your poster.