Making a vein viewer with LED lights

In summary, the most important factors for penetration of LED light through the skin are the angle of the light, the colour of the skin, and the amount of swelling. Other factors to consider are the type of LEDs used and the arrangement of the lights.
Hieu
I'm trying to optimize my vein viewer with LED lights but I'm not sure which factors affect the penetration of the light through the skin. (I'm following this guide https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-an-affordable-Vein-Finder-for-use-d/)
I can say those factors are the angle of the lights, the colour of the skin, swollen areas. Is there anything else I should consider too? And should I use Parallel light beam instead of non-divergence light beam?
The last question I want to ask is about the arrangement of the LED lights. Is it best to arrange them as a circle or a rectangular?
FIUFV3LHELXKGZ5.LARGE.jpg

Sorry for my bad English if there is any mistake.

Attachments

• FIUFV3LHELXKGZ5.LARGE.jpg
    FIUFV3LHELXKGZ5.LARGE.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,555
Physics news on Phys.org
Hieu said:
I'm trying to optimize my vein viewer with LED lights but I'm not sure which factors affect the penetration of the light through the skin. (I'm following this guide https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-an-affordable-Vein-Finder-for-use-d/)
I can say those factors are the angle of the lights, the colour of the skin, swollen areas. Is there anything else I should consider too? And should I use Parallel light beam instead of non-divergence light beam?
From the link, it sounds like the choice of the LEDs is the most important thing:
This tool works by using near-infrared wavelength LEDs to illuminate the flesh at the site. The veins will appear as dark bands because they are more absorbent of this spectrum of light than the surrounding tissue.
Are you using the exact LEDs that he specifies?
Hieu said:
The last question I want to ask is about the arrangement of the LED lights. Is it best to arrange them as a circle or a rectangular?
In the theme of the project, probably you want to arrange them as he did in his project. However, I wouldn't close off the top of the rectangle with plastic like he did. QUIZ QUESTION -- Why? :biggrin:

BTW, don't expect too much out of this project. The vein viewers that are commercially available use IR light and translate that into visible light that you can see, like this product:

https://sgmh.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/accuvein-picture.png

upload_2019-2-20_7-17-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_7-17-16.png
    upload_2019-2-20_7-17-16.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,303
Now that it’s been a few days, how is your project going

Try looking at the illuminated area with your cellphone camera. They see farther into IR spectrum than our human eyes do.

1. How does a vein viewer with LED lights work?

A vein viewer with LED lights works by using near-infrared light to penetrate the skin and illuminate the veins. The light is absorbed by the hemoglobin in the blood, making the veins appear darker and easier to see. The LED lights are specifically designed to emit light at the optimal wavelength for vein visualization.

2. Is a vein viewer with LED lights safe to use?

Yes, a vein viewer with LED lights is safe to use. The near-infrared light used is non-ionizing, meaning it does not cause any harm to the body. The amount of light emitted is also very low and has been tested to be safe for human use.

3. What are the benefits of using a vein viewer with LED lights?

A vein viewer with LED lights has several benefits, including making it easier to locate veins for medical procedures such as blood draws and IV insertions. It can also reduce the number of attempts needed to find a vein, which can be particularly helpful for patients with difficult-to-find veins or those with needle phobia. Additionally, it can improve patient satisfaction and reduce discomfort during procedures.

4. Can a vein viewer with LED lights be used on all skin types?

Yes, a vein viewer with LED lights can be used on all skin types. The near-infrared light can penetrate all skin types, including darker skin, making it effective for people of all races and ethnicities.

5. How accurate is a vein viewer with LED lights?

A vein viewer with LED lights is highly accurate, with a success rate of over 90% in locating veins. However, the accuracy may vary depending on factors such as the quality of the device, the skill of the user, and the condition of the patient's veins.