Mastering Classical Mechanics: Tips for Developing Your Own Ideas in Physics

In summary, the speaker has a love-hate relationship with classical mechanics and often forgets the formulas they have learned. They are studying at an undergraduate sophomore level using Kleppner and Kolenkow's Intro to Mechanics textbook. The speaker is advised to focus on developing their imagination and thinking skills rather than memorizing formulas. It is also suggested to join a rocket club or talk to a teacher for guidance. The speaker is reminded that physics is a manner of thinking and textbooks are written for specific readers.
FreeRoger
Hi-

So I have been studying physics for a long time, and I love most parts of it, but I have a love-hate relationship with classical mechanics. Every time I read my textbook I can work my way through it and it makes sense to me, but one or two days later I forget all the formulas I have learned. I can't ever really think on how to get started on the problems. Can someone tell me what I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not mention the level of classical mechanics you are studying or the textbook you are using. You should probably give more details. Is it High school physics, Freshman sophomore level in college, upper undergraduate level Junior/senior college level; graduate level ?

If I may venture a guess - and given what you've told us, there's not much else I can do -you're trying to go through this way too fast.

mpresic3 said:
You did not mention the level of classical mechanics you are studying or the textbook you are using. You should probably give more details. Is it High school physics, Freshman sophomore level in college, upper undergraduate level Junior/senior college level; graduate level ?
The level is around undergraduate sophomore. I am using Kleppner and Kolenkow's Intro to Mechanics.

FreeRoger said:
So I have been studying physics for a long time, and I love most parts of it, but I have a love-hate relationship with classical mechanics. Every time I read my textbook I can work my way through it and it makes sense to me, but one or two days later I forget all the formulas I have learned.

First: This is not at all uncommon. Most students do not really like classical mechanics. I love it now, but until I was 25-26, I wanted more than anything else to do modern physics like Quantum, Quantum Field Theory, Quantum Chromodynamics, etc. This appreciation comes in time.

I see by your page, you are a young researcher. You mention that you forget all the formulas you learned. You may not have a guide to show you the way. A good guide can tell you, physics is not mainly memorizing formulas or equations. I see you have read some biographies. The reason Einstein is remembered, is surely not because he memorized more equations than Newton, or anyone else. Physics is a manner of thinking.

Textbooks are written for specific readers. The best indication of the readership the book is written for is found in the preface of the textbook. Often, after reading the preface, you can decide whether this is the best textbook for you. I find Kleppner/Kolenkow problems challenging but their treatment somewhat dry. If you use another introductory textbook, like Resnick /Halliday or Beiser, you find these authors introduce chapters with judo tosses, pictures of lightning, pictures of quasers, lasers, steam engines and the like. These are not idle illustration. These can be a reminder (especially to a young researcher), of why they are studying physics in the first place.

Top physics problem solvers learn a significant number of techniques, but learning them too soon is misguided. I feel, before college, it is more appropriate to develop your imagination. an experienced problem solver (in my 60's), I feel my technique is excellent, but my imagination could use a lot of work. In that respect, some other advise given about joining a rocket club, a science group, talking to a teacher is better for you at this time. Too many problems may constrain original thinking and increase shortsightedness.

mpresic3 said:
First: This is not at all uncommon. Most students do not really like classical mechanics. I love it now, but until I was 25-26, I wanted more than anything else to do modern physics like Quantum, Quantum Field Theory, Quantum Chromodynamics, etc. This appreciation comes in time.

I see by your page, you are a young researcher. You mention that you forget all the formulas you learned. You may not have a guide to show you the way. A good guide can tell you, physics is not mainly memorizing formulas or equations. I see you have read some biographies. The reason Einstein is remembered, is surely not because he memorized more equations than Newton, or anyone else. Physics is a manner of thinking.

Textbooks are written for specific readers. The best indication of the readership the book is written for is found in the preface of the textbook. Often, after reading the preface, you can decide whether this is the best textbook for you. I find Kleppner/Kolenkow problems challenging but their treatment somewhat dry. If you use another introductory textbook, like Resnick /Halliday or Beiser, you find these authors introduce chapters with judo tosses, pictures of lightning, pictures of quasers, lasers, steam engines and the like. These are not idle illustration. These can be a reminder (especially to a young researcher), of why they are studying physics in the first place.

Top physics problem solvers learn a significant number of techniques, but learning them too soon is misguided. I feel, before college, it is more appropriate to develop your imagination. an experienced problem solver (in my 60's), I feel my technique is excellent, but my imagination could use a lot of work. In that respect, some other advise given about joining a rocket club, a science group, talking to a teacher is better for you at this time. Too many problems may constrain original thinking and increase shortsightedness.
Thank you very much for your advice. I do not hate classical mechanics, I just have a hard time with it. I understand the concepts, but I can never really remember the mathematical processes for solving problems. I would like to know how to derive all the formulas that are necessary. I also agree that while it has good explanation of the concepts, the Kleppner and Kolenkow book has dry problems. I have read the Fundamentals of Physics books and they are not as mathematically challenging as I would like. Are there any good undergraduate classical mechanics problems to do?

I also think I need to learn how to be more of an original thinker. How should I go about doing that?

FreeRoger said:
I also think I need to learn how to be more of an original thinker.

Why would you think that? What does that even mean?

For remembering stuff, something you should try doing when working through the textbook is using active recall. Read a section and go through the derivations step by step. When you are done, attempt some of the problems assigned to you. After this, try to recall the section you just went through on a separate piece of paper without referring to your notes or the book at all. Try to hit all the main points and recreate all the derivations that are in the section. When you are done, check for what you have missed, make a mental note of it and put it into your notes. I usually sleep on it and do it again in the morning. If you repeat this enough you can cement the material into your head pretty good. I repeat this strategy every time I go to solve problems, and I aim to be able to draw up a good set of notes on the spot from memory about a specific topic or chapter, and write it in a manner as if I was teaching it to someone else.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why would you think that? What does that even mean?
That means that I want to learn how to come up with my own ideas in physics.

FreeRoger said:
I don't think this is too much of a issue when it comes to classical mechanics at the level of K&K. Unless you mean coming up with your own solutions..

Mondayman said:
I don't think this is too much of a issue when it comes to classical mechanics at the level of K&K. Unless you mean coming up with your own solutions..
What do you mean by coming up with my own solutions?

I did not address original thinking, so much as creative thinking. I realize problem solving involves creative thinking, but this is just one aspect. In my earlier post, I did not suggest alternatives along these lines.

Before college, I like books by Martin Gardner, I think it was Relativity for the Millions, Isaac Asimov, Intelligent Mans guide to Physical sciences, Intelligent Mans guide to Life sciences, George Gamow, Mr Tompkins guides, and the one I like by Gamow, is Matter, Earth Sky, The Compleat Stratygyst by Williams, Modern Mathematics for the Practical Man, by MacNeil, there are many others, but these come to mind. Unfortunately, many may be old, out of print, and hard to get.

These are not textbooks but they introduce the reader to many points of view and I think extended my imagination, before going to college. I read the preface to Kleppner/ Kolenkov, after the last thread. It states the focus of the book is problem solving. For a selected audience, this is crucial, but I think the books above are more appealing, and introduce the reader to the various aspects of physics. These are not "pop" science books either. All of them have some aspects that would challenge anyone, without the focus on problem solving. The math books I mentioned contain problems, but I feel that is not their focus.

Attachments

• 1588665403616.png
    1588665403616.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 203
Thank you for the book recommendations! I will definitely check them out! Do you have any textbook recommendations as well?

FreeRoger said:

There's plenty of time for that. First you have to finish grade school or junior high, then high school, then college, and then around graduate school there will start to be openings for "your own ideas in physics". But this is definitely not the problem you are having with K&K.

Related to Mastering Classical Mechanics: Tips for Developing Your Own Ideas in Physics

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as particles, systems of particles, and rigid bodies, under the influence of external forces.

What are the fundamental principles of classical mechanics?

The fundamental principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, and that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

What are some common applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many applications in everyday life, such as understanding the motion of objects on Earth, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing structures that can withstand external forces.

What are the main differences between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

The main difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics is the scale at which they operate. Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic particles. Additionally, classical mechanics uses deterministic equations to predict the future state of a system, while quantum mechanics uses probabilistic equations.

How can I improve my understanding of classical mechanics?

To improve your understanding of classical mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and applying the principles to real-world situations can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.