Math symbols on GRE POWERPREP software

In summary, the conversation was about encountering unfamiliar symbols on GRE practice tests. The first symbol was a number in a square resembling a telephone key, and the second symbol was a number with upside-down "L's" next to it. The person who encountered these symbols asked for clarification, and the other person suggested scanning them. The conversation then shifted to a box problem, where the box was defining a function on its contents. The function f(x) was equivalent to 3 for odd integers and 6 for even integers. The person who initially asked about the symbols expressed confusion about the function being expressed as f(x) ---> f(r) and f(s).
Jupiter6

Homework Statement

So far, I've encountered two symbols on the GRE practice tests which are unknown to me.

The first is a number in a square, like a telephone key

The second is a number with upside-down "L's" next to it

What do these mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you scan them?

Here's the boxes problem. I have no idea what this means.
9rrns5.jpg

Last edited:
The box is defining a function on its contents. It's equivalent to a function f,

f(x) = 3, if x is an odd integer; f(x) = 6, if x is an even integer.

So f(x) can take on the values 3 or 6 depending upon whether x is an odd or even integer.

Oh, I see, It's an f(x) --->f(r) and f(s) substitution thing. Jeez, I've never seen functions expressed that way before.

Related to Math symbols on GRE POWERPREP software

1. What are the most common math symbols used on the GRE POWERPREP software?

The most common math symbols used on the GRE POWERPREP software include addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (x or *), division (/), exponents (^), and equal (=) signs.

2. How do I access math symbols on the GRE POWERPREP software?

To access math symbols on the GRE POWERPREP software, you can use the on-screen keyboard or the keyboard on your computer. Simply click on the symbol you need or press the corresponding keys on your keyboard.

3. Can I use my own custom math symbols on the GRE POWERPREP software?

No, the GRE POWERPREP software only allows the use of standard math symbols. Using custom symbols may result in an incorrect answer.

4. Are there any shortcut keys for commonly used math symbols on the GRE POWERPREP software?

Yes, some commonly used math symbols on the GRE POWERPREP software have shortcut keys. For example, the multiplication symbol can be accessed by pressing the asterisk (*) key on your keyboard.

5. Is there a limit to the number of math symbols I can use on the GRE POWERPREP software?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of math symbols you can use on the GRE POWERPREP software. You should try to use the minimal amount of symbols needed to solve the problem, as the software may not recognize complex equations or symbols.