MathType - best font for equations?

In summary, the individuals are discussing the use of different fonts in a PhD thesis, specifically in regards to text, equations, and pictures. The group suggests using Times New Roman as a standard font for compatibility and the option to export the thesis as a PDF to avoid font issues. There is also a reminder to check the university's requirements for font usage.
kravky
I am writing my PhD Thesis now and i have a lot of equations. I use Word (for text) and for eqations i use MathType. For text i use Calibri font 12pt but for eqations - in MathType i prefer Euclid. It looks pretty good but i would like to ask you, if it is a problem that fonts for texts and equations are not the same ?
For pictures i use another font - from Catia and moreover i have bigger size but i think its not the problem. If it is i would just repair it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a screenshot showing these different fonts in context?

Does your university have any requirements on fonts and formats?

Will portions of this get published in a journal?
If so, you may want to be aware of requirements by that journal.

Of course, what is certainly most important is the content.

kravky said:
I am writing my PhD Thesis now and i have a lot of equations. I use Word (for text) and for eqations i use MathType. For text i use Calibri font 12pt but for eqations - in MathType i prefer Euclid. It looks pretty good but i would like to ask you, if it is a problem that fonts for texts and equations are not the same ?
For pictures i use another font - from Catia and moreover i have bigger size but i think its not the problem. If it is i would just repair it.

Thanks
One issue to consider: When you send your thesis for review and comments, are you planning to send a PDF or a Word file? If you send a PDF, no special issue. If you send a Word file, then if you use fonts not loaded by default with Word, they often will not reproduce properly if the reviewer does not have the special fonts loaded. I've found that Times New Roman (loaded by default with Word) works well with MathType.

Likes Klystron
CrysPhys said:
If you send a Word file, then if you use fonts not loaded by default with Word, they often will not reproduce properly if the reviewer does not have the special fonts loaded.
Yes. In searching for a missing font, Word will stop at the last font it has (alphabetically). I know a situation where that ended up being WingDings and many very serious documents had the image of an exploding bomb (from WingDing capital m) at significant points.

Last edited:
Well i think i can export WORD into PDF and overcome this problem?

Likes FactChecker
kravky said:
Good idea. That should work. But you have to remember to do that every time. You will never see anything wrong on your computer so it is easy to forget.

Concur with using Times New Roman font for publications (unless sans-serif is specified in the requirements). Standard fonts sound boring but avoid problems downstream particularly among co-authors. PDF output from Word not only portable but easy to lock.

Likes FactChecker
Klystron said:
PDF output from Word not only portable but easy to lock.
Both are important. Anything official should be locked as PDF unless you really want another person (who you trust) to be able to edit. And the portability of PDF is much better than Word.

Likes Klystron
kravky said:
Yes, no problem with PDF. But, since your original is in Word, I would think it would be easier for you to have your reviewers enter comments and revisions directly in the Word file, rather than in the PDF file (and then transfer them to the Word file). If all your reviewers have MathType loaded, no problem. Otherwise, agree with Klystron: unless there's a compelling reason, stick with simple fonts (that applies to drawings too); aesthetic preference is not a compelling reason.

kravky said:

Thanks

Besides this being just a matter of tastes, you should also check if your school has a specific requirement on font type and size. Back when thesis were often stored in microfilm format, there were certain requirements on font size, etc.

So this should be something that you must confirm first. If there are no such restrictions, then knock yourself out.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and FactChecker

What is MathType and how does it work?

MathType is a mathematical equation editor that allows you to create and edit equations in a visual format. It works by using a combination of keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks to insert and format equations.

Why is MathType considered the best font for equations?

MathType is considered the best font for equations because it offers a wide variety of symbols, templates, and fonts specifically designed for mathematical equations. It also has a user-friendly interface and is compatible with various software applications.

Can I use MathType with other fonts?

Yes, MathType allows you to customize the font for your equations. You can choose from a variety of fonts that best fit your needs and preferences.

Is MathType compatible with different operating systems?

Yes, MathType is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It can also be integrated with various software applications such as Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Adobe InDesign.

Is there a free version of MathType available?

No, MathType is a paid software with a one-time purchase fee. However, it does offer a free trial period for users to test out the features and functionality before making a purchase.