Matrix as a product of elementary matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment to represent a given matrix as a product of elementary matrices. The individual describes their process of reducing the matrix to the identity matrix and spotting an error in one of the row operations. They also mention the use of elementary matrix form to represent each operation and the need to find the inverse matrices in order to get the original matrix. The conversation concludes with a correction to the inverse matrix of one of the elementary matrices.
philnow

Homework Statement

Sorry for the double post, I couldn't re-edit the topic on my earlier post.

The assignment is to represent the following matrix as a product of elementary matrices:

1 3 5
3 10 11
-2 -7 -7

I reduced this matrix down to the identity matrix I using elementary row operations, which I recorded. I'll paste these here:

1)row 2 = row2 - 3row1
2)row 3 = row3 + 2row1
3)row 3 = row3 + row2
4)row 3 = -1*row3
5)row 1 = row1 - 3row2
6)row 1 = row1 - 17row3
7)row 2 = row2 - 4row3

The idea is now to represent each operation as an elementary matrix, and the product of the inverses of these matrices should give me my original matrix, correct?

1 0 0
3 1 0
0 0 1

1 0 0
0 1 0
0 -2 1

1 0 0
0 1 0
0 -1 1

1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 -1

1 3 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

1 0 17
0 1 0
0 0 1

1 0 0
0 1 -4
0 0 1the above matrices are the inverses of these row operations in elementary matrix form (I THINK!)(1-7 top to bottom). Here is the problem... when I multiply these matrices out (using matlab) I'm getting the same answer every time:

1 3 5
3 10 11
0 -3 13

the last row is clearly off, while the rest is right on... This is driving me crazy! Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I reduced the matrix to identity matrix and spotted one error:
7) should be row2+4row3

Also, you got wrong the inverse matrix of the 2) elementary matrix

It should be:

1 0 0
0 1 0
-2 0 1

Thanks! How on Earth did I miss that initially...

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It can be used to represent a system of linear equations, transformations, and other mathematical operations.

2. What are elementary matrices?

Elementary matrices are square matrices that are used to perform elementary row operations on a matrix. These operations include multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, swapping two rows, and adding a multiple of one row to another row.

3. How is a matrix expressed as a product of elementary matrices?

A matrix can be expressed as a product of elementary matrices by performing the same elementary row operations on the identity matrix that were performed on the original matrix. The resulting matrix will be the product of the elementary matrices in the same order as the operations were performed.

4. What are the benefits of expressing a matrix as a product of elementary matrices?

Expressing a matrix as a product of elementary matrices can make it easier to perform calculations, such as finding the inverse of a matrix and solving systems of linear equations. It also allows for a better understanding of how the matrix is transformed by the elementary row operations.

5. Can any matrix be expressed as a product of elementary matrices?

Yes, any square matrix can be expressed as a product of elementary matrices. However, not all matrices have a unique elementary matrix representation. Matrices that are not invertible or have repeated rows or columns may have multiple representations.