Matrix Problem From Hell - Inverse of Linear Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the final step is to arrange three elements into a 2x2 symmetric matrix under a given basis alpha. One person provides a solution and the other expresses surprise at the perceived ugliness of the resulting matrix. The solution is posted as a link.
blashmet

Homework Statement

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/2783/77597781.jpg

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get all the way to the last step, but I'm not sure how to perform it.I get to the point where I have:

[(T^-1)(ax^2+bx+c)][itex]\alpha[/itex]= [T^-1][itex]\alpha\beta[/itex]*[v][itex]\beta[/itex]=

[ a/4 + b/8 - (3c/8)]
[ 3(b+c) - (a/2) ]
[(a/2) - ((b+c)/4) ]

Now, at this point, I need to get those 3 elements into a 2x2 symmetric matrix. At first I just made the top element the repeated element along the diagonal, but apparently this is wrong.

At this point on my homework my teacher wrote, "Now use [itex]\alpha[/itex]={basis v1, basis v2, basis v3} (the given basis in the problem statement).

I'm still not sure exactly what to do at this point. I don't know how to get those three elements into a 2x2 symmetric matrix "under" the basis alpha.

Can someone please show me how to perform this last step? Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i've seen this problem before...

it's a lot of work to verify that those coordinates are right (and i don't feel like spending the hour or so it would take), but if they are, then you just need to form the matrix:

c1α1 + c2α2+ c3α3

where c1 = a/4 + b/8 - (3c/8), etc.

your resulting matrix will be god-awful ugly, but it WILL be symmetric.

Ahh Deveno! lol...

I didn't know you were on this forum too. I was going to have another look at our convo about this problem on MHF, but it's down apparently.

Anyways,

why do you think the matrix will be ugly?

The solution is posted as:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7732/la2c.jpg

It doesn't look that bad...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a vector from one vector space to another while preserving the basic properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the inverse of a linear transformation?

The inverse of a linear transformation is another linear transformation that undoes the effects of the original transformation. In other words, when the original transformation and its inverse are applied in succession, they cancel each other out and return the vector to its original form.

3. How do you find the inverse of a linear transformation?

To find the inverse of a linear transformation, you need to use a specific mathematical process called matrix inversion. This involves manipulating the coefficients of the transformation's matrix to create a new matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix.

4. What is the "Matrix Problem From Hell"?

The "Matrix Problem From Hell" refers to the difficulty in finding the inverse of a linear transformation when the transformation's matrix is not invertible. This can happen when the matrix is singular (has a determinant of 0) or has some other property that makes it impossible to find an inverse.

5. How can the "Matrix Problem From Hell" be solved?

If the matrix of a linear transformation is not invertible, the "Matrix Problem From Hell" can still be solved using alternative methods such as the Moore-Penrose pseudoinverse or the singular value decomposition. These methods involve finding a generalized inverse that approximates the inverse of the original transformation.