Maximising the Area of a Chord.

• Thread starter Liparulo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Chord
In summary, the problem is that the equation given does not seem to be the right one. There are two equations that seem to be more accurate, one involving pi and the other involving sin(). The first equation is easier to work with, but the second may be more accurate in the end.
Liparulo

Homework Statement

This is a problem within a problem. I need to differentiate the area of a chord of find the maximum area (and hopefully, in the process, radius).

Homework Equations

I found this equation on another site:
A=R^2[(Pi/180*c - sin c)]/2
Where:
• C is the central angle in degrees.
• R is the radius of the circle of which the segment is a part.
• A is the area of the chord.
(I think I typed it out correctly. Here's the website: http://www.mathopenref.com/segmentarea.html)

The Attempt at a Solution

First problem: How can I differentiate the equation when the is denominator is 2? My central angle is 180 Degrees, so it worked out to be:
A=R^2[(Pi - sin 180)]/2
Something is terribly wrong, I'm sure. Is it even the right formula? There is also this formula:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Chord.html

Sorry it's a little messy, but my thought pattern is crazy at the moment. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, a chord is a line and so has no "area". I think you mean the area of the portion of a segment of a circle lieing between the chord and the circle.

But I don't see what your difficulty is. Having a "2" in the denominator is just another constant- it multiplies the final derivative.

If [itex]A= R^2(c- sin(c))/2[/itex] (note that I have removed the "pi/180" from your formula. That would be assuming that c is in degrees and the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) only if x is in radians so I am treating c as being in radians to begin with.)

[itex]A= (R^2/2)(c- sin(c))[/itex] so that [itex]A'= (R^2/2)(1- cos(c))[/itex].

And what do you mean your "central angle is 180 degrees"? I thought you were trying to find the central angle that will give the largest area. Are you just checking to be sure the area formula works?

If c= 180 degrees, which is [itex]\pi/2[/itex] radians, then sin(c)= -1 so [itex]A= R^2\pi/2[/itex], the area of half of a circle as you would expect.

Ah, well there's a problem with my assignment right off the bat. I think I may be approaching it wrong.

The question asks us to minimise the materials needed for a gutter, in this case a circle. We then have to compare it to other shapes. My logic is to first find the maximum radius of the chord (effectively, where the gutter let's water in) and then set it as the radius for the circumference of the circle. Is that the right logic?

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the maximum area of a chord?

To calculate the maximum area of a chord, you need to know the length of the chord and the radius of the circle it is on. The formula for maximum area is A = r^2 * sin(2θ), where r is the radius and θ is the central angle of the chord.

2. Why is it important to maximize the area of a chord?

Maximizing the area of a chord is important because it can help you find the largest possible area within a circle, which is useful in many real-world applications such as designing circular structures or maximizing the efficiency of circular machinery.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a chord and its maximum area?

The longer the chord, the greater the maximum area it can have. However, this relationship is not linear, as the area increases exponentially as the chord length increases.

4. Can the maximum area of a chord be greater than the area of the circle?

No, the maximum area of a chord can never be greater than the area of the circle it is on. The maximum area is limited by the radius of the circle, and it is only possible to reach the maximum area when the chord is a diameter of the circle.

5. Are there any real-world examples where maximizing the area of a chord is useful?

Yes, there are many real-world examples where maximizing the area of a chord is useful. For instance, when designing circular buildings or structures, maximizing the area of a chord can help determine the most efficient use of space. Additionally, in industries such as agriculture or manufacturing, maximizing the area of a circular field or machine can help increase productivity and reduce costs.