Maximize Volume of Cone: Homework Equations & Solution

In summary: I can't use the constraint because that won't get me anywhere but I can't use the volume of the cone equation to do the rest because that is what's suppose to be maximized...Great this is due in a few hours and I have made no progress :(never mind, i got it.
MitsuShai

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Volume of cone= (1/3)*pi*r^2*h
Volume of sphere= (4/3)*pi*r^3
Surface area of sphere 4*pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

primary equation is V(cone)= (1/3)pi*r^2*h---> V(cone)= (1/3)pi*(r-h/2)^2*h
constraint: constraint:V(sphere)= (4/3)*pi*r^3
***from pathagorean theorem, I have to find the radius of the cone because the radius of the sphere is not the same as the radius of the cone.
so the radius of the cone is: (r-h/2),
is my primary equation and constraint switched around because I have to get rid of that h and the only way I can is it to use that and put it in terms of r. But I'm suppose to be looking for the maximum volume of the cone...I don't know how to do this..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MitsuShai! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
MitsuShai said:
well I think the primary equation is V= (1/3)pi*r^2*h …

oooh :redface: … wrong area of the base circle! :cry:

tiny-tim said:
Hi MitsuShai! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

oooh :redface: … wrong area of the base circle! :cry:

It's asking for the maximum volume of the cone, so shouldn't the primary equation be that and then you some how use the sphere...

Yes, but r for the base of the cone isn't the same as r for the radius of the sphere. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, but r for the base of the cone isn't the same as r for the radius of the sphere. :wink:

oh ok, I can see that, so what else can I do
do I assume that the radius is half the height and use pathagorean thereom, so I can get a radius of squareroot(r-h) for the cone?

MitsuShai said:
oh ok, I can see that, so what else can I do
do I assume that the radius is half the height and use pathagorean thereom, so I can get a radius of squareroot(r-h) for the cone?

(and have a square-root: √ :wink:)

Yes, use Pythagoras, but no you don't get √(r - h) :redface:

(besides, isn't h larger than r?)

tiny-tim said:
(and have a square-root: √ :wink:)

Yes, use Pythagoras, but no you don't get √(r - h) :redface:

(besides, isn't h larger than r?)

oh sorry I get √(r^2 - h^2),right?
ok so my primary equation is: V= (1/3)pi*(r^2-h^2)*h
constraint: Volume of sphere= (4/3)*pi*r^3
or is it the other way around? because I have to get it in terms of r and so I have to get rid of the h so is it like this:

ok so my primary equation is: Volume of sphere= (4/3)*pi*r^3
constraint: V= (1/3)pi*(r^2-h^2)*h
Solve&sub
h= V/[(1/3)pi*(r^2-h^2)]
V= (1/3)pi*(r-h)*V/[(1/3)pi*(r^2-h^2)]
which goes to V=(r-h)*V/(r^2-h^2)

MitsuShai said:
oh sorry I get √(r^2 - h^2),right?

wrooong! :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
wrooong! :rolleyes:

CA = u
OA = r
OC = h - r

CA² = OA² - OC²
u² = r² - (h - r)²
u² = 2hr - h²

V(cone) = (1/3)πu²h
V(cone) = (1/3)π(2hr - h²)h
V(cone) = (1/3)π(2h²r - h³)

I can't figure out what to do next though
constraint: V(sphere)= (4/3)*pi*r^3
how can I go from here because I am trying to maximize the volume of the cone, but there is an h as a variable when I'm only suppose to have r. I can't use the constraint because that won't get me anywhere but I can't use the volume of the cone equation to do the rest because that is what's suppose to be maximized...

Great this is due in a few hours and I have made no progress :(

never mind, i got it.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius, and h is the height of the cone.

2. How do I maximize the volume of a cone?

To maximize the volume of a cone, you need to find the optimal height and radius that will give you the largest volume. This can be done by setting the derivative of the volume equation equal to zero and solving for the variables. The resulting values will give you the dimensions that will yield the maximum volume.

3. What is the homework equation for maximizing the volume of a cone?

The homework equation for maximizing the volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius, and h is the height of the cone. This equation can be used to calculate the volume of a cone and find the optimal dimensions for maximum volume.

4. Can I use the same equation to find the maximum volume of any cone?

Yes, the formula V = (1/3)πr²h can be used to find the maximum volume of any cone as long as the variables r and h represent the radius and height of the cone, respectively. This equation applies to all cones regardless of their size or proportions.

5. Are there any other methods for maximizing the volume of a cone?

While the derivative method is the most common and efficient way to maximize the volume of a cone, there are other methods that can also be used. These include using geometric concepts such as similar triangles and proportionality to find the optimal dimensions for maximum volume. However, the derivative method is the most widely used and accepted approach.