Maximizing Laptop Battery Life - Computer Battery Tips

In summary: Macbook_Pro-13_Inches_-2012/In summary, if you have a laptop with a removable battery, it's best to let it discharge and recharge frequently.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Hello all! :smile:

I have recently bought a new laptop. A problem that I had with my older laptops were that the battery broke quite fast, and I don't want this to happen anymore.

I have a 9-cell Li-ion battery, what do I have to do to let this battery live as long as possible? Is it preferred to work with the computer plugged in all the time, or is it preferable that I let the battery run empty every time and only then reload it?

Any advice is welcome!

Computer science news on Phys.org
One of the PC magazines, maybe PC World?, had an article on exactly question this last year. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact name or issue. It claimed that any particular model of battery has a life of n discharge/charge cycles. I am assuming that means you don't really abuse the battery and that we don't really know what n is for any particular battery. If they are correct then this probably roughly means that every time you run it almost down and recharge it then you used up one of your n, half way down and back up then you used 1/2 of one of your n, run it mostly only while on the charger and have it shut off when carrying from one place to another uses up roughly zero of your n.

It would be nice to find some other credible source that would agree with them.

It depends on the type of battery and the type of charger.

A car battery will be broken if it reaches a completely uncharged state.

But the first mobile phone batteries needed to be unloaded completely and recharged completely to lengthen their life span.

Modern chargers are smart and can actually unload and reload a battery to increase its life span.

As for a Li-ion battery, the best source I currently have is the wikipedia article, that says it loses 20% capacity per year if it's fully loaded and almost none if it is 50% loaded.
It doesn't say what happens if it is unloaded completely.

This article agrees with what I've observed over the years:
http://www.techatplay.com/?p=61

Lithium ion batteries have a finite number of charge cycles, but they also age:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Unfortunately, your battery doesn't just finish charging when it's done--it keeps getting 'topped off' when your adapter is plugged in (thus burning up charge cycles, and sometimes quite rapidly, depending on battery chemistry). So if you rarely ever use your battery, your best bet is to let it (dis)charge to around 40-50%, pull it out and top it off when you need to take the show on the road (keeping in mind the fact that it ages). If you use it more frequently, just let it charge up and pull it out of the laptop whenever you're on AC power.

The new Macbook Pros have built-in batteries (mine is one of the old ones with a removable/replaceable battery)--despite this, Apple says that their batteries should last 1000 (full) charge cycles before depleting to 80%:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

Last edited by a moderator:

I can offer some tips for maximizing your laptop battery life. First, it is important to understand that lithium-ion batteries, like the one in your laptop, have a limited number of charge cycles before they start to degrade. This means that constantly draining and recharging your battery can actually decrease its overall lifespan.

To maximize your battery's lifespan, it is recommended to keep it charged between 40-80% whenever possible. Avoid letting it fully drain or constantly keeping it at 100% charge. Additionally, it is not necessary to fully discharge your battery before recharging it.

In terms of whether to work with your laptop plugged in or not, it is generally better to use your battery and then recharge it rather than keeping it plugged in all the time. This allows the battery to cycle through its charge and discharge process, which can help maintain its health. However, if you do need to use your laptop for extended periods of time, it is okay to keep it plugged in as long as you periodically unplug it and let the battery drain a bit.

Additionally, it is important to keep your laptop in a cool and well-ventilated area as high temperatures can also decrease battery life. And finally, if you will not be using your laptop for an extended period of time, it is recommended to store it with the battery at around 50% charge to prevent degradation.

I hope these tips help you maximize the lifespan of your laptop battery. Remember to also refer to your laptop's user manual for specific guidelines and recommendations.

1. How can I extend the lifespan of my laptop battery?

The best way to extend the lifespan of your laptop battery is to avoid constantly draining it and then fully charging it. Instead, try to keep the battery level between 40-80%. Additionally, using power-saving modes and adjusting screen brightness can also help prolong battery life.

2. Is it okay to leave my laptop plugged in all the time?

Yes, it is generally okay to leave your laptop plugged in all the time. Most laptops have built-in mechanisms to prevent overcharging, so you do not have to worry about damaging the battery. Just make sure to remove the battery and use the laptop with only the AC power source once in a while to keep the battery active.

3. How often should I calibrate my laptop battery?

It is recommended to calibrate your laptop battery every 2-3 months. This involves fully charging the battery, then draining it completely before fully charging it again. This helps the battery to accurately report its remaining charge and ensures it is working at its optimal capacity.

4. Can I use my laptop while it is charging?

Yes, you can use your laptop while it is charging. However, it is recommended to avoid heavy tasks such as gaming or video editing, as these can cause the laptop to heat up and put strain on the battery. It is best to use your laptop for light tasks during charging.

5. How can I tell if my laptop battery needs to be replaced?

If your laptop battery is not holding a charge for as long as it used to, or if it is not charging at all, it may be time to replace the battery. You can also check the battery health through your laptop's settings or use a third-party battery health monitoring software to determine if it needs to be replaced.