[ME statics] Two force members

In summary: So, the sum of the moments about A must be zero, and that is what tells us that AE is not a two-force member.There is no reaction force in the Y-direction because the force at D is in the same direction as the reaction force on beam BC at A. AE is not a two force member because there is no reaction in the Y-direction.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

asd.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Was trying to solve for the horizontal reaction at B. Why is BC a two-force member but not AE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who says AE is not a two-force member?

Well, nobody but the solution says: CB is a two force member so the reaction at B only in the horizontal direction. Then the sum of the moments about A bla bla bla.
How can they know that there is no reaction in the Y-direction and why isn't the same true for A?

For a two force member, the forces are necessarily colinear and along the axis of the link. The link ADE supports shear and bending as well as the axial load, which is why it is not a two force member.

I think that's why you have to work out the reactions. Remember, the two bars appear to be pin-connected at D, so what kind of forces and moments can be applied here?

SteamKing: I agree that the members are pinned at D (that is the way I read the figure), and, by definition, a pin only transmits forces, no moments. Without working through the details, if we think about moments wrt A, it is evident that the load at E puts bending in the member ADE.

On the other hand, since there is no applied load at C, and there are only pins at B and D, there cannot be any bending in the member BDC. No bending implies no shear, and BDC must be a two force member.

I don't get that at all. It doesn't seem to make any intuitive sense to me. The force has a negative Y component so there should be a reaction force in the Y direction at D. That should create some moment on beam BC and also some reaction in it... I don't see the two force member.

@ Feodalherren: You have noted the negative component of the force applied at E and the fact that it must be reacted somewhere. But there is no reason it has to be reacted at D; it can be equally well reacted at A. If there were a vertical force component at D, then there would be a moment about B on the link CDB. There is nothing to react such a moment, so that moment cannot exist.

What is a two force member in statics?

A two force member is a structural element that is only subjected to two external forces, with both forces acting in the same plane and along the same line of action. This means that the net force on the member is zero, resulting in no change in its translational motion.

How do you determine the internal forces in a two force member?

To determine the internal forces in a two force member, you can use the method of sections or the method of joints. These methods involve analyzing the equilibrium of forces and moments acting on the member, and using equations such as the sum of forces and the sum of moments to solve for the internal forces.

Can a two force member be in equilibrium?

Yes, a two force member can be in equilibrium as long as the two external forces acting on it are equal in magnitude, opposite in direction, and collinear. This means that the member experiences no net force and no change in its translational motion.

What are some examples of two force members?

Some examples of two force members include ropes, cables, and beams that are only supported at two points. These members are often used in structures such as bridges, buildings, and cranes.

What are the advantages of using two force members in engineering?

The use of two force members in engineering allows for a simpler analysis of structures, as the internal forces can be determined using basic equations of equilibrium. This also helps to reduce the weight and cost of the structure, as there are fewer forces to consider when designing the member.